Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Anyone have info on where I can autocross my own car? Sear's Point maybe?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have info on where I can autocross my own car? Sear's Point maybe?
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi everyone, this weekend I went to a Ford exhibition show at 3-com park where they set-up a mini autocross course and allowed you take take their new Mustangs out for a spin. Even though it was a short course, it really opened up my eyes to the incredible fun associated with this type of racing. I've always drag raced in the past and this was my 1st time ever racing through the turns. I wanted to know if anyone had information on where I can race my own car.

Thanks
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
99convcobra
¯
Member # 1339

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99convcobra  Ford pictures for 99convcobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Luke, look for the autocross this sunday on the boards, its at cal expo in sacramento [Big Grin]

--------------------
99 convertable cobra #867
SOLD 09/01/02
13.702 1/4 mile time
33.010 Autocross time
1 Tranny Smoked
3 tickets
And Counting

NEW COLLEGE CAR
98 V6,
First word "Dam this thing is slow"
11lbs Procharger in October

Posts: 475 | From: Redding at college | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks, I'll look into it.
Do you have any idea if Sear's Point does anything like this for the public?
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

99convcobra
¯
Member # 1339

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99convcobra  Ford pictures for 99convcobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not sure i have rented sears point for a day for my stock car, it runs about $500.00 a day, and you have to rent or supply an ambulance, or i my case i have a md on my team who is approved....

--------------------
99 convertable cobra #867
SOLD 09/01/02
13.702 1/4 mile time
33.010 Autocross time
1 Tranny Smoked
3 tickets
And Counting

NEW COLLEGE CAR
98 V6,
First word "Dam this thing is slow"
11lbs Procharger in October

Posts: 475 | From: Redding at college | Registered: May 2002  |  :
67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Luke,

Sears Point doesnt do SCCA events too often... mainly because of the cost. Racing "open track" is expensive, usually $150-200 to get maybe an hr total seat time. (Although at cost/time it works out to be less than drag racing [Wink]

Look at http://www.sfrscca.org/index.phtml

They are the local SCCA group and they have alot of Solo2 events (autocross...cone and parking lots essentially)

I went to one at Golden Gate Fields last year, in the back lot...its a blast, and you are right, it is a whole 'nother outlook on what you can do with your car. Also, whats very refreshing about it, is that there is less of the MONEY buys POWER effect... a lot more emphasis on skill. You typically see guys in 4 bangers and light imports beating vettes and the like... alot of fun and learning.

I'm leaning towards that route for my '88...

later

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Thanks guys,
Chirag, I checked out the site and it looks like the last scca event of the summer open to non-members is today (Sat). Bummer. I just installed new brakes too (calipers, pads, fluid, resurfaced rotors, etc)

Does anyone know any details to the Alameda Naval Air Station. Is that still occupied? I thought they shut it down a couple years ago. I remember there being large lots of concrete there. I wanted to know if this is open to the public, probably not...
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
Thanks guys,
Does anyone know any details to the Alameda Naval Air Station. Is that still occupied? I thought they shut it down a couple years ago. I remember there being large lots of concrete there. I wanted to know if this is open to the public, probably not...
Luke

They closed the base in 96 I believe. That place has unbelievable amounts of open space that isn't being used, especially old runways. I haven't gone by there in a while, but I know that whatever their plans for the place are, anything regarding racing/cars is not included. It would be the perfect place for a dragstrip, not only because of the empty space but because I live 5 minutes from it. [Big Grin]
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

98snake,
Is it open right now for me to go in and make a few runs with a friend, ot is it supervised and this type of thing highly restricted?

I lived on the most northern point of Buena Vista Ave (towards the base) from 1984-1990 before moving to Pinole. I love Alameda.
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
98snake,
Is it open right now for me to go in and make a few runs with a friend, ot is it supervised and this type of thing highly restricted?

its definately open to make some runs, actually extremely wide open, TOOOOO wide open, its just like having miles and miles of open space at your disposal lol. the thing is cops are all over it, so if you do go and do some illegal stuff, you have a 300% chance of getting caught. and alameda cops are some of the least lenient guys i know when it comes to motorvehicle issues, thank god I am friends with a few of them. [Big Grin]
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Like that? Wow, fukc it then, lol...

KNow any other open areas around the east bay that are wide open w/o the harassment?

--------------------
Stangless

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.nasaproracing.com/norcal/index.html

This is the web site for NASA's Northern CA cnapter. They go to all the mjor tracks. Great group.

There is a guy that comes on here once in a while name Stan that puts together open track events. Very professional and well organized. Keep checking back for upcoming events.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There are autocrossing events in Sac at the cal expo center every weekend. Theres many different autocrossing associations that race up there just the scca is the most well known one that races up there.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Thanks guys, I'll look into it.
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com