Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4cyl to v8 smog?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4cyl to v8 smog?
86xchpstang
¯
Member # 11800

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86xchpstang  Ford pictures for 86xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's been about 9 years since I've been on here so I apologize in advance if I post this in the wrong area.

I sold my 86 coupe many years ago for 5k 😭😭 and looking to get into something again. I've had my eye on a couple 4cyl coupes but I don't wanna deal with hot smog, or B.A.R. so my question is....if I do a v8 swap on a 4 banner with I have to go get it state ref?

JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm in the same boat with you except I have bought and started my 4 to 8 swap from every thing I have read is you visit the ref once for him to inspect the swap being done correctly if its all good he prints a new sticker letting smog shops know its legit to smog

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
BRB 50
¯
Member # 10395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRB 50  Ford pictures for BRB 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you put all the stuff from the V8 into the 4 it will pass as long as the V8 stuff is ok. I'm talking all the solenoids behind the strut tower, all the vacuum stuff, all the smog stuff, pump and hoses to back, metal pipe behind head ( not necessary but for the look), and cats. Everything needs to be there, or look like it's there.
Posts: 160 | From: es oakland | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
throttlepositionsensor
¯
Member # 14838

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for throttlepositionsensor  Ford pictures for throttlepositionsensor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A smog tech sees the sticker and enters it into the computer so it gets smogged as a V8. It's extra paper work and appointments and fees. With luck you will get a younger BAR tech that doesn't know these older cars well. So he won't get picky on you.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com