Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Parking/fog light/instrument cluster/interior switch lighting stuck on

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Parking/fog light/instrument cluster/interior switch lighting stuck on
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am in need of assistance. I have an 03 Cobra convertible which has the instrument cluster lights stuck on. This includes the HVAC control illumination as well as fog light on indicator. The map lights in the mirror will NOT turn on either by switch or door ajar. The instrument cluster will dim, but all interior lights get brighter when headlights are turned on. It also appears the parking lights and fog lights will not turn off. The front bumper with fog lights is off the car currently so I plugged in both headlights for testing purposes and confirmed the parking lights to be on and not turning off. This is in conjunction with the fog light on indicator light on the fog light switch being on with the headlight switch off. I suspected a faulty headlight switch so I removed the headlight switch. The the switch removed the cluster, HVAC, interior switch lighting, and headlamps all went off, however the fog light on indicator remained illuminated, and the parking lights remained on. The car has Autometer Boost/AF wideband/digital shift light control, all of witch I have removed via the add-a-circuit and replaced the fuse in an effort to eliminate a potential source of the malfunction to no avail. I removed the 40 amp fuse under the hood which controls the cluster and that also shut off the parking lights but still no resolution to the problem. At this point I am at a complete loss. Any help is appreciated.
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A crude method of troubleshooting would be to remove 1 fuse at a time to see what circuits are affected.
Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That’s what I started doing. Problem solved, don’t work on cars all night when you are tired. I failed to plug the FPDM in after a BAP install and apparently Ford has a funny method of providing a warning system for an unplugged FPDM.
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com