Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1988 5.0 Fox Mustang Engine Build

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1988 5.0 Fox Mustang Engine Build
schoonerman
Member # 14761

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for schoonerman  Ford pictures for schoonerman    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've done a ton of research on the interweb and I'm coming up short on building a motor for my 1988 Fox bodied McLaren Mustang 5.0. There's a ton of pretty old info on the web, lots of it from 2009 or so, just not a lot in the past 3-4 years.

My goal is to find someone to build a 5.0 motor for me. I'm too damn lazy to do it myself. I build boats for a living and just want to go for a drive to get away from it. I don't have the room in my shop nor at my house to do this car. Yeah, I live in Cali (Bay Area) and am here for the foreseeable future as I own a company here.

Wants:

mid/high 300 hp.
Prefer NA but seems likely I'll need to go FA
Not going to show the car but would like to dress the engine.
Has to pass smog with as little hassle as possible. If I could build a smogable motor with alloy heads, legal cam, legal leaders/cat back exhaust, updated lower end to handle the HP and a good tuner to get it all happy that'd be perfect! I'd dress the engine somewhat.
Not really a daily driver, this is a weekend car.
Converting from a AOD to a Tremec TKO
Also planning on updated suspension, brakes, rear end. Will be installing a new driveshaft as part of the transmission swap. Looking for an interior shop as well. Perfect world I would find someone like myself to run this resto (I do boat restos).

I've checked in with all the usual Mustang suspects in Norcal...none of them work on smog required cars. I'm chasing down a few other shops that might like this project. I've budgeted 15K but that'll likely slide to $18-20.

I've owned this car from new, it has 60K, always garaged and the car is in very good shape. It will be a fun car to drive with a decent motor, trans, brakes (disc), suspension, wheels/tires and it will ease my urges to go buy a motorcycle...lol

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

--------------------
Schoonerman

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
300hp is easy with just a heads/cam/intake swap onto a stock bottom end. Honestly, you'd probably be better off just buying a complete engine from Blueprint. You can get a 370hp engine for $4500 and it comes with a warranty.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
schoonerman
Member # 14761

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for schoonerman  Ford pictures for schoonerman    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I reached out to Blueprint. They don't make smogable engines. That was my go to but sadly, not an option.

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
300hp is easy with just a heads/cam/intake swap onto a stock bottom end. Honestly, you'd probably be better off just buying a complete engine from Blueprint. You can get a 370hp engine for $4500 and it comes with a warranty.

[ 2020-08-11, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: schoonerman ]

--------------------
Schoonerman

Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What about Coast High Performance?

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/138-0308-coast-high-performance-emissions-legal-347-short-block

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice to hear about another McLaren in the Bay Area. We have 2. Have you tried Mustang Magic in Fremont?
Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You might try Newtec Performance in Hayward.
Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com