Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Ford excursion help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ford excursion help
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2005 excursion 6.0 powerstroke

I am dealing with this P0402 that I cannot seem to get rid of.

Initially I had a code of P0405 for dead egr valve. No other codes were present at the time. I went and picked up a new egr valve not ford but another brand from oreilly with lifetime warranty and installed it. The old egr valve did not have any soot or wetness thankfully .

Everything was okay for about 30 min or so. While driving around the P0402 code popped for excessive egr gas.

After doing research it looks as if the MAF is used to measure egr and could possibly be dirty. I pulled the maf and cleaned it and put it back in and cleared the code.

About a week goes by and the light pops back up for P0402 again.

There was an after market filter on the vehicle and I noticed a tear in the filter media. Figured I replace it, so I went with a k&n. Again I pulled the maf, cleaned it and also installed the new filter. I’ve read that people have seen the P0402 code pop when having aftermarket filters as they don’t filter out as well as the stock one.

Another week goes by and the darn P0402 light goes. So now I am stuck trying to figure out what to check.

Truck has a monitor but is on stock tune. Deltas between eot and ect on the freeway at 75mph is 2-3 degrees.

Can anyone recommend what else to look at? I’m looking at either replacing the k&n filter and going with stock or maybe replacing the maf.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

hidnn0s
¯
Member # 13845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn0s  Ford pictures for hidnn0s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Potential Causes:

Plugged EGR Cooler Pipe
Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor
Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor Tube
Exhaust Gas Re-Circulation (EGR) Control Valve
Plugged Intake Manifold
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Hose Port
Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Pressure Hose
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) — The PCM may need to be updated to resolve this concern.
Turbocharger Control Solenoid
Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)

Confirmed fixes:

101 - Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)
59 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve
20 - Turbocharger
18 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Pressure Hose
18 - Charge Air Cooler (CAC) Hoses
15 - Catalytic Converter(s)
10 - Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor
5 - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming
5 - Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor Tube
5 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooler
4 - Intercooler
4 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor
3 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
3 - Fuel Injector(s)
3 - Fuel Pump
3 - Intake Manifold
3 - Exhaust Y-Pipe
3 - Engine Wiring Harness
3 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Passage(s) and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve
2 - Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT) Actuator
2 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Passage(s)
2 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve and Turbocharger
2 - Air Pipe Rubber Boot
2 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve and Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)
1 - Engine Oil Cooler and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooler and Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)
1 - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming and Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)
1 - Charge Air Cooler (CAC) Hoses and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve
1 - EGR Cooler Pipe and Engine Oil Cooler
1 - Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor Tube and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooler and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming and Turbocharger
1 - Engine Oil Cooler and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooler and Fuel Injector(s)
1 - Charge Air Cooler (CAC) Hoses and Exhaust Y-Pipe
1 - Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Passage(s) and Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM)
1 - Engine Wiring Harness and Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor Connector
1 - Exhaust Y-Pipe and Turbocharger Ducting Clamp(s)
1 - Engine Oil and Engine Oil Filter and Fuel Filters and Fuel Tank and Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) Screen
1 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Hose Port and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Pressure Hose and Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)
1 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Gasket and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve
1 - Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor and Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)
1 - Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor and Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor Connector
1 - Cooling System Bleeding Procedure
1 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Wiring
1 - Injection Control Pressure (ICP) Sensor
1 - Exhaust Manifold Gasket(s)
1 - Intake Manifold Plenum
1 - Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor
1 - Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
1 - Engine Air Filter
1 - Turbocharger Boots
1 - Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve
1 - Turbocharger Control Solenoid
1 - Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor Wiring
1 - Aftermarket Performance Chip
1 - Fuel Filters
1 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve and Intake Manifold
1 - Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor and Exhaust Backpressure (EBP) Sensor Tube
1 - Turbocharger Inlet Pipe
1 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Gasket
1 - Fuel Injector(s) and Fuel Pump
1 - Intercooler and Turbocharger

Test Procedures:

1. First, before any diagnostics are performed, have the PCM updated and recheck the concern.

2. If the concern is still present, remove and inspect the EGR valve, check for a badly plugged or stuck open valve, see the attached EGR valve inspection for reference. If the EGR valve is plugged or stuck open, it will need to be replaced and the concern rechecked.

3. If the EGR valve is ok, but the concern is still present, the turbo and EGR test will need to be performed.

4. Pull up Manifold Gauge Pressure (MGP) on your scan tool.

5. Raise the RPM and hold at 1200.

6. Access the Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT) solenoid and ground the driver wire at the solenoid, see the attached illustration for reference.

7. With the VGT driver wire grounded and the RPM at 1200, the MGP on your scanner should rapidly go over 1 PSI. If it does not, remove the jumper wire, and perform the same step several times. If the pressure comes up more and more with each actuation, it is likely the turbo will need to be cleaned, see the attached illustration and procedure.

8. If however the turbo test passes, leave the VGT actuated, then access the EGR valve and backprobe a ground to the White and Pink wire at the EGR valve. With this wire grounded, the turbo boost should immediately drop back to 0 PSI, and you should hear a very noticeable difference in how the engine sounds.

9. If there is no change in turbo boost or it drops slowly, suspect a plugged EGR cooler or intake.

10. Inspect also the MAP sensor hose and port, and the EBP sensor and tube.

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with the OEM part then go on from there.
Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by i:

OEM egr valve?

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The key to all your problems is your the un happy owner of a 6.0 powered truck
hidnn0s
¯
Member # 13845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn0s  Ford pictures for hidnn0s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 6.0 Excursion, LOVE IT!

GREAT power with the tune, GREAT mileage for the size of vehicle.

I've done the bulletproof semi kit. If/when the engine has issues, I'll install a Jasper engine with studs and remote bulletproof cooler etc. Owned it 10 years. Fix the known issues when they arise, perform preventive maintenance, oil change every 5k, fuel filters every 15k, and it's worked for me.

adower
¯
Member # 5955

quote:
Originally posted by [SHO]TIME:
The key to all your problems is your the un happy owner of a 6.0 powered truck

So far 195k miles and this the first problem I’ve had. Wouldn’t exactly say I’m unhappy.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
quote:
Originally posted by i:

OEM egr valve?
Yes.
Did you end up doing a diagnostic procedure?
Going to need a DVOM to perform it.

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

quote:
Originally posted by i:
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
quote:
Originally posted by i:

OEM egr valve?
Yes.
Did you end up doing a diagnostic procedure?
Going to need a DVOM to perform it.

I got a new egr valve ford oem. Code still popped. What is a dvom?

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

hidnn0s
¯
Member # 13845

Did you just pull a code and toss in a sensor/valve?

Diagnostic procedures I listed are above.

The PCM has an update "specifically" to address this code. If your computers software hasn't been updated, that's where you start but it doesn't mean it's a fix for "your truck." If it still returns, you see the potential causes and next steps.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com