Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fox Grounding Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fox Grounding Question
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im having an issue with my car shutting off all of a sudden. I dont know if its the ignition switch or a bad ground. I ordered the switch, but in the meantime i would like to know if changing to a thicker gauge ground strap (behind head to firewall) will suffice? Do the stock uninsulated ground straps go bad or ? I hear a thicker gauge ground strap is recommended when going to a 130 amp alternator. I already changed my battery cables to motorcraft brands, and i added a 4 gauge ground cable from the grounding point below the washer fluid rez, to the engine block (same place as the battery ground).

as far as the ignition switch, do you all recommend motorcraft? i ordered one from LMR which is a generic brand.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Honestly I don't see it being a ground, My first best guess would be the ignition module. Pull your plastic surround off your steering column and I bet you will see that the ignition module is separating and loosing contact This is very common they are held together with little bent over tabs which ive been able to clamp the module in my vise carefully and bend the tabs tight again
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i hope its the ignition switch! i ordered 2!!

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it isn't the ignition switch, it could be the TFI module on the distributor as they go bad also. I also had a fuel pump die in a weird way where my fox would run for ~30 minutes until the pump got hot, then die and couldn't build pressure until it cooled off, so throw a fuel pressure gauge in the car to check the rail pressure next time it dies.

in terms of ground, they make a HUGE difference but I recommend doing it the easy way:

-4 or 8 awg from battery ground to drivers side front sway bar mount stud on the framerail
-4 or 8 awg from same front sway bar mount stud to engine block, I usually go where the power steering bracket mounts

[ 2019-06-14, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

well, it was the 10 gauge wire from the ignition switch. i checked at the solenoid side and that yellow wire was barely touching the post, so it came loose. car is good now!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com