Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tailpipe/Band Clamp Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tailpipe/Band Clamp Question
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Has anybody ever joined tailpipes with a butt joint band clamp? I have a about a 3/4 inch space between where my tailpipe end and tip meet. So to cover that space, i was planning on using a butt joint band clamp with a 3" width. Would that be okay to use in that scenario (for all you exhaust shop guys).

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Save your time. A muffler shop can weld what you need. It will look better and work better.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
Save your time. A muffler shop can weld what you need. It will look better and work better.

that may be an option if the band clamp idea is crap
[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The band clamp idea is crap
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Have you tried it? Curious

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have not but you will be wasting your time and more than likely be losing your exhaust tips while driving down the road. Just get them welded on and done correctly at a shop probably cost you $75
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by [SHO]TIME:
I have not but you will be wasting your time and more than likely be losing your exhaust tips while driving down the road. Just get them welded on and done correctly at a shop probably cost you $75

thanks for your input, something to think about

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
unless you can get one pipe to slip inside the other pipe, and use use that style of formed/shaped bandclamps like what new cat-backs come with for installing, the ones that clamp for butted end to end pipes never seal right and are always a PITA.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Feels pretty solid, havent test drove it like that so im hoping it stays solid after a drive

-

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That clamp might work ok for you. It's the better style. The cheap ones use U bolts. I wouldn't use one before the muffler, but after the muffler might be okay.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
That clamp might work ok for you. It's the better style. The cheap ones use U bolts. I wouldn't use one before the muffler, but after the muffler might be okay.

yes, these band clamps werent cheap, and for good reason. I grabbed the tip and tailpipe and violently shook it, and it held solid like it was welded. glad i found these and was able to toss those 3" tips.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Snug their nuts up after 1 or 2 weeks of heat cycles. The heat cycles can cause new nuts to back out.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com