Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Prothane Motor Mounts (92 5.0)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Prothane Motor Mounts (92 5.0)
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anybody using them? How do you like em?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run them. I don't really feel a difference from stock but then again I don't run any stock suspension on that car. Almost everyone who replaces their motor mounts run them so I don't see anything bad with them.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
I run them. I don't really feel a difference from stock but then again I don't run any stock suspension on that car. Almost everyone who replaces their motor mounts run them so I don't see anything bad with them.

i noticed the mounts dont have a "locating" stud like the stock ones...so it just has the motor mount stud and thats it...seems wierd. did you have to elongate the mounting holes on the k-member at all?
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:
quote:

i noticed the mounts dont have a "locating" stud like the stock ones...so it just has the motor mount stud and thats it...seems wierd. did you have to elongate the mounting holes on the k-member at all?
The motor mounts don't have the studs? Mine do, its just the trans one that doesn't have studs attached. Everything just bolts on like normal the only ones you have to elongate is the trans which is why I decided not to run it, just put a stock replacement there.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

-

im talking about that little stud above the motor mount nut stud (in the pic)...the new urethane ones dont have that little stud...i guess its not required?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What advantage do prothane's have above parts store convertible mounts?
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

According to LMrs website, they hold up better than rubber and are encased by steel (not sure if oe mounts are steel too) and when you put prothane and stock mounts side by side, the prothanes just look better. I just hope they dont raise the height of the motor too much like it says it might. We’ll see when i attempt to drop my motor in this sunday. I have my pops coming over so we can celebrate fatherhood by dropping in the motor and bbq’ing some ribs.
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look at your local parts stores. Life time warranty convertible mounts are half the price with all the same benefits. I've read they too raise your motor an inch.
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can’t go wrong with prothan mounts. Way better quality and keep the engine more sturdy. They will however raise your engine up a bit.

That little stub that’s on the motor mount is to line up with the k member. A lot of aftermarket k members don’t haves that slot for the stud to go in it’s really not needed. Majority of people that buy aftermarket k members end up cutting or grinding the stud down because it won’t let the motor mount sit all the way flush .

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

prothanes went in without a hitch..i have yet to see how the motor reacts on these mounts tho. still piecing together the little stuff before I can fire her up
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
prothanes went in without a hitch..i have yet to see how the motor reacts on these mounts tho. still piecing together the little stuff before I can fire her up

What else do you have left to do?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
quote:

mount the upper/lower intake manifold, fuel, vacuum, ecu harness, etc...basically all the tedious shit. oh and the muffler to tail pipe.

I have to find TDC i believe, however when i removed the old dist, i installed the MSD one in the same position (rotor and dist) but i figure to be safe just set it again.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
quote:
quote:

mount the upper/lower intake manifold, fuel, vacuum, ecu harness, etc...basically all the tedious shit. oh and the muffler to tail pipe.

I have to find TDC i believe, however when i removed the old dist, i installed the MSD one in the same position (rotor and dist) but i figure to be safe just set it again.

I tried that way just to save time and well that only got me a tooth off. I did it the old school way and it fired right up. Sounds like you got a couple hours of work left at most. [patriot]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com