Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help with a part name....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with a part name....
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I know it's stupid but I can't seem to find the part because I don't know the name of the part. The part the turns the oil pump driveshaft has been getting rounded off and skipping. I'm replacing the shaft and I want to replace the part that's on the bottom of the distributor that turns the shaft. Anyone know the name of the part and where I can find it? Or do I have to replace the distributor?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
DeleteThisAccount
¯
Member # 94

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeleteThisAccount  Ford pictures for DeleteThisAccount    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The gear itself?

[ 2018-05-09, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Blown93Snake ]

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blown93Snake:
The gear itself?

Is the gear attached to it or is it removable? I'm talking about the part where it's pretty much like a socket so it can turn the shaft. Somehow it rounded off some. It pulled out the shaft with the distributor because they were stuck together pretty good from rounding off.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pretty sure all there is a the oil pump, oil pump drive shaft and distributor shaft.

The cam shafft drives the distributor drive gear which is pinned to the distributor shaft.

[ 2018-05-09, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: KevinK ]

Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Distributor shaft.
Are you running a high volume or high pressure pump ?

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:
The gear itself?

Is the gear attached to it or is it removable? I'm talking about the part where it's pretty much like a socket so it can turn the shaft. Somehow it rounded off some. It pulled out the shaft with the distributor because they were stuck together pretty good from rounding off.
That is a single solid shaft from the hex drive below the gear to the top of the distributor where you attach the rotor. If the hex drive is fucked, you just need a new distributor as I'm 99% sure you can't buy just the shaft.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Post a picture. Is it a bronze distributor gear?
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
Post a picture. Is it a bronze distributor gear?

It's not the gear
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
Distributor shaft.

I don't believe so because this was just a rebuilt stock shortblock I bought and threw my parts on. Is that common for high volume pumps?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:
quote:
The gear itself?

That is a single solid shaft from the hex drive below the gear to the top of the distributor where you attach the rotor. If the hex drive is fucked, you just need a new distributor as I'm 99% sure you can't buy just the shaft.
I was afraid that would be the case but I figure I ask before I bought a new distributor. Luckily they're cheap for this car. Thanks for the help guys! [patriot]

[ 2018-05-10, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: NEIGHT ]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

quote:
quote:
Distributor shaft.

I don't believe so because this was just a rebuilt stock shortblock I bought and threw my parts on. Is that common for high volume pumps?
With a hv oil pump the problem usually is not the distributor shaft usually the roll pin for the dust. gear shears or the oil pump drive shaft twists up shorter to the point it comes out of the oil pump and you lose oil pressure

[ 2018-05-10, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: 4IDFOX ]

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
quote:
quote:
Distributor shaft.

With a h/p oil pump the problem usually is not the distributor shaft usually the roll pin for the dust. gear shears or the oil pump drive shaft twists up shorter to the point it comes out of the oil pump and you lose oil pressure
I think that's what happened to mine but luckily it didn't shear any gears it just messed up my hex drive. The clip was missing when the shaft came up with the distributor. I'll be looking for the clip when I drain the oil.

[ 2018-05-10, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: NEIGHT ]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Anyone know what type of gear you're suppose to use in the distributor with a trickflow cam? Steel?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Yes. Steel. Same as stock roller cam
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the oil pump shaft shows signs of wear from the part that was getting rounded, replace it with an ARP hardened oil pump shaft. Part number ARP 154-7904.
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

quote:
If the oil pump shaft shows signs of wear from the part that was getting rounded, replace it with an ARP hardened oil pump shaft. Part number ARP 154-7904.

That is a good idea. You just have to confirm the length. The arp drive shaft is for all 302's. Early distributors are shorter.
I have had to shorten arp's when used with efi distributors.

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
quote:

That is a good idea. You just have to confirm the length. The arp drive shaft is for all 302's. Early distributors are shorter.
I have had to shorten arp's when used with efi distributors.

I am getting the Melling shaft because that's what parts stores carry and I want to have this thing running by today. I'd order them from summit to get them tomorrow but the distributor from them is back ordered like two weeks, at least the stock style one.

[ 2018-05-11, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: NEIGHT ]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Damn y'all didn't tell me I have to drop the pan. FML, Luckily I have aftermarket suspension so I don't have to lift the motor but damn. I think I'm going to replace the pickup/screen and the pump while I'm at it, standard volume.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Got the car running yesterday, no leaks, good oil pressure, no tapping/knocking. Only thing is it's backfiring like no tomorrow. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Is it a lean pop or rich explosion ?
On the gas or off the gas ?
Is the timing correct ?
Bad wires.
Bad plugs.
Plugged fuel filter.
Maybe a bad tfi. Try the one off your old distributor.

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Is it a lean pop or rich explosion ?
On the gas or off the gas ?
Is the timing correct ?
Bad wires.
Bad plugs.
Plugged fuel filter.
Maybe a bad tfi. Try the one off your old distributor.

It did both honestly. I actually went back and looked and well I think injectors 2-4 are leaking. They're not the ones I've been running this whole time. I'm going to replace the O-rings on all of them and see what happens. I didn't get a chance to adjust the timing because the car was idling at like 400rpms or so it was holding on for life. The car won't start at all if I stabbed the distributor wrong would it? Just trying to check off the easy stuff first.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Your timing could be too low.

-

http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=7114.0

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Do this if the injectors are new to you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rUUgR94drxg

Then confirm distributor placement and timing.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com