Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 01 f150 alignment question.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 01 f150 alignment question.
510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510.86.notch  Ford pictures for 510.86.notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 01 f150.was getting a bad speed wobble last Saturday after my sons t-ball game.pulled over and noticed my front upper control arm was missing the nut and the bolt was starting to back out.limped it home.and called firestone as they were the last ones to touch those bolts and nuts.less than 6 months ago.long story short they are saying that when they did my alignment that they never touched my upper control arm bolts.so I looked at the paper work to see what my camber was at when I brought it in.it was way out of wack.so was my toe.the manager said that when the toe is out that far that when they adjust the toe it will change the camber by it self.didnt make sense to me.so I'm asking here.when adjusting toe in/out can that change the camber angle automatically.lmk if you guys have any insight and maybe can explain it to me.thanks in advanced cafords!!!

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
87 thunderbird turbo coupe-sold
86 mustang GT hatch-sold-kinda
86 mustang coupe-sold

Posts: 1062 | From: san leandro | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What the shop said makes sense. Get a replacement nut from the dealership and put it on with medium grade thread lock. The dealership will tell you the required torque value for the nut. You can rent for free a torque wrench from some auto parts stores or buy a cheap one.
KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe the alignment adjustment is done at the bottom bolts. They usually install a bolt kit at the bottom for alignment.
Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510.86.notch  Ford pictures for 510.86.notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KevinK:
I believe the alignment adjustment is done at the bottom bolts. They usually install a bolt kit at the bottom for alignment.

Not on this truck.no adjustment on bottom.only on upper control arms.firestone did make it right.but I don't think I will ever take any vehicle back there ever again.they pretty much told me that they don't do alignments right at all.your supposed to set camber first then the toe.my camber was never right from the first time I left there.also my steering wheel was at about 10 o clock.they said they don't touch aftermarket stuff but they had no problems when I brought my fix in.aftermarket k member a arms coil overs caster camber plates.pretty much the works.the guy was actually excited that everything was adjustable.said it made his job easier.so they are a bunch of bullshit.will lie straight to your face.but you can get out of there not paying a arm and a leg if you are some what mechanically inclined.or know how to use the internet.they wanted to charge me $255 for something I thought was there fault.i left with all my money in my pocket with my truck.just had to argue for awhile.but it was worth it to me.hope this can help someone else from not getting ripped off.

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Which Firestone? Could it be one bad tech and not the whole shop?
KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is the caster/camber alignment and it requires replacing the lower control arm bolt.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=79e1xQgmIww

The upper arms are prettty much in a fixed position.

I had my F150 done once in 150,000 miles. It was done at Custom Alignments in Mt. View. Don’t try going there anytime near track events as the place will be loaded with race cars.

You can fix you steering wheel position by moving the slack in the the rods from one side to the other. Loosen one side and tighten the other.

Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

quote:
Originally posted by KevinK:
Here is the caster/camber alignment and it requires replacing the lower control arm bolt.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=79e1xQgmIww

The upper arms are prettty much in a fixed position.

I had my F150 done once in 150,000 miles. It was done at Custom Alignments in Mt. View. Don’t try going there anytime near track events as the place will be loaded with race cars.

You can fix you steering wheel position by moving the slack in the the rods from one side to the other. Loosen one side and tighten the other.

That's different year than my truck.mine is 97-03.check out this video.this is how mine is adjusted.
https://youtu.be/Zbta0zgLdkA

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

510.86.notch
¯
Member # 9892

quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
Which Firestone? Could it be one bad tech and not the whole shop?

Southland.hayward.they said they have the best master tech in the area.not just at firestone in the area.said mission was worse.thats how I know they are full of bullshit.

--------------------
91 mustang coupe
84 mustang svo
89 mustang.4cyl5speed.
86 mustang coupe-sold

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com