Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Failed smog

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Failed smog
FISH
¯
Member # 10442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FISH  Ford pictures for FISH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1998 cobra failed smog.
Secondary air - not completed
Oxygen sensor - not completed
Oxygen sensor heater - not completed
My car has been sitting for a few months but I drove it 130 miles before the test. I have an issue with my imrc but the code is not on at this time? Could my faulty imrc cause the secondary air to not set? Should I just drive more to have the sensors set? Or do I need to delete the imrc and get a tune to delete it?

Posts: 55 | From: SAN FRANCISCO | Registered: Nov 2010  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't know how you drive but to get things to reset you need a low load cruise. Get on a road you can cruise at 55-60 steady throttle for 15 or so miles.
Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
FISH
¯
Member # 10442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FISH  Ford pictures for FISH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did at least 100 miles on the freeway. Cruises at 75 for at least half the time. Do I need to hold the speed between 55/60?
Posts: 55 | From: SAN FRANCISCO | Registered: Nov 2010  |  :
WesternKingdom
¯
Member # 9249

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesternKingdom  Ford pictures for WesternKingdom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
computer doesnt work properly driving 75 mph when trying to set the monitors. drive between 55/65 have a steady foot. no traffic

--------------------
1993 GT
1985 Coupe

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You gotta Swang it in the freeway and post it on Snapchat it will pass smog quick.
Looks like you got to drive that thing more.

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You don't need the scan tool and driving it on the freeway isn't the proper way to set all the monitors. There are specific driving cycles for each OBD2 monitor and sometimes it takes 2 drive cycles to complete.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Anything 1996 and up has to deal with this shit. all manufacturers have different drive cycles too.

Do not let your battery die before going to a smog [Smile]

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NK is this process the same for the new edge?

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its manufacturer specific so yes because it is also a ford. New ford's may be different but just follow the drive cycle and you should be good. Do note that on the evap test (driving steady speeds on freeway) you can use cruise control or have the ac/heater on and must have between 1/4 and 3/4 of a tank.

This shit is not fun when you can't get that last monitor to set.

[ 2018-03-29, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: NK2186 ]

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I cant get the Cats & Evap to set... The other 2 no problem.

LOL! Thanks Bro!!!

-R

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try some of the seafoam methods to clean up the irmc..but removing them to clean is usually the best way if they are gummed up. removing them all together will mean you will have to get a tune...it will be running rich without them and check engine light will come on.

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com