Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Possible collapsed lifter?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Possible collapsed lifter?
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so my '86 has developed this damn ticking sound that sounds horrible. I have adjusted the valves twice now to make sure they're right but I noticed on cylinder #8 the lifter feels like it has no resistance compared to all the other ones. It never used to make this sound until recently and I'm not trying to hurt the motor so I just don't drive the damn thing. Any help would be appreciated before I throw more money at this motor. If I can't get this noise to go away I think I'm going to just part the motor.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you check the lifters shortly after the car had been running? Maybe it just leaks down faster than the others.
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
Did you check the lifters shortly after the car had been running? Maybe it just leaks down faster than the others.

No, I did not. It's kinda a bitch to pull off the valve covers because of my Trickflow R intake so I have to remove my upper intake to get to the rockers. I'm thinking about pulling it all off and replacing the lifters but I don't just want to throw money away if its something else. The tapping sound is loud and never goes away each time I crank it up, whether its hot or cold it'll make the sound. Would a sound clip help? Good weather is coming, I just got my 2019 tags and I want to play.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'll put money on it being a broken bearing on that lifter, ive had this happen before on factory roller lifters after adding a cam.
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to save money, swap the suspected lifters to the other side of the engine. You found the culprit if the noise follows the swap.
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by [SHO]TIME:
i'll put money on it being a broken bearing on that lifter, ive had this happen before on factory roller lifters after adding a cam.

Did it make a sound like this? I'm not sure if you can hear it that good in this video but it's just a bit louder now.
https://youtu.be/iTYCMj7J4Qw

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
If you want to save money, swap the suspected lifters to the other side of the engine. You found the culprit if the noise follows the swap.

Would I be able to tell just by pulling them out? Like will it not spring back or something, or is it obvious when it's no good?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it will make a pretty solid constant noise, just pull the lifters a busted bearing will be obvious.dont run the engine or more damage will be done
[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

cant hear it in video , its obvious you have a pretty good cam in that, if it has a lift of above like 480-490 and your heads are factory its too much lift for the valve train and will certainly bust a lifter
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Yes the noise is consistent, the more throttle the more it ticks. Honestly, thinking back when I first built the motor I adjusted the valves way too tight, but not tight enough to where it didn't start right away. I will be getting new lifters and will let you guys know if it works. [patriot]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

I don't know if this is safe. Pull the suspect push rod, spark plug and unplug the injector. If the noise goes away you know which valve has faulty components. It should be safe if you only pull one push rod at a time. What do people think about this idea?
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
I don't know if this is safe. Pull the suspect push rod, spark plug and unplug the injector. If the noise goes away you know which valve has faulty components. It should be safe if you only pull one push rod at a time. What do people think about this idea?

Yeah I'm not sure if that'll fuck up my seals on the valves since it won't let the compression out. Just my theory might not hurt anything I'm not sure. It's ok though I got my some new trickflow lifters for $80 on eBay yesterday. Maybe I'll be back in action this week.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After you get the valve covers off you could pull the distributor and run the oil pump with a drill and see if you’re u can pump up the liffters. distributor runs counterclockwise
Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Removing the spark plug will allow the cylinder pressure to escape through the spark plug hole.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com