Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » paint-finish question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: paint-finish question
robertrwalsh
¯
Member # 10479

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for robertrwalsh  Ford pictures for robertrwalsh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have no expertise in this area so I thought I would ask. I went out of the house today and I noticed a couple of areas on the roof of my 65 coupe where it looked like it was covered by a clear decal that was peeling. The paint job is aftermarket and I expect second rate if that. There was water under the surface layer. I peeled it up in a couple of spots with a knife blade and it was like very very thin, old cellophane tape. It was not quite clear but was very lightly blue in color. The car is medium blue. I am GUESSING that what is happening is the thing was clear-coated after being painted and the clear coat is now "peeling' or whatever that is called. Any ideas on what is going on? Thanks.
Posts: 73 | From: stockton, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your theory sounds right. Can you post pictures?
robertrwalsh
¯
Member # 10479

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for robertrwalsh  Ford pictures for robertrwalsh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
will try to post photos
robertrwalsh
¯
Member # 10479

Can't figure out how to post photos. Sorry about that. It isn't exactly intuitive.
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get some rubbing compound and go a small area.

Get a wet terry cloth towel and put the rubbing compound on it. Rub it in a circular motion making about a 3 inch circle. Working it for two minutes and wipe it off. See if it got better or worse. This will let you know if it’s above or below the clear coat

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Picture posting on forums are all the same. Click on the Ford Pictures license plate above. Click Upload and upload your picture. Copy and paste the text it gives you into your post.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com