Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » YAY. New Issue BHG? *BAD A9L was cause* (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: YAY. New Issue BHG? *BAD A9L was cause*
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can remove it.
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can remove it. Make sure you have the throttle wide open when you perform the test. Also is best to shut down the fuel pump. Pull the relay or the impact switch.
Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright ran compression....by cylinder in numerical order 140/140/144/150/142/140/142/however number 8 does not hold pressure. It will go up as the car is cranked (up to about 160, then when we stop cranking, the gauge pressure drops slowly to zero). We did the test to #8 a few times, same result. Also checked snugness, it was good. Checked fittings, good. This was a dry test, we did not do the wet test.

What do yall think? Googled it and its pointing towards the valve guide. Thats what im hoping as its the easiest to fix from what im hearing.

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A worn valve won't cause coolant and oil to mix. After you did cylinder 8, did you test another cylinder to make sure the O ring or hose of your gauge isn't leaking? Can you do a leak down test?
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my coolant is fine, no loss or change in level. As far as the frothy cream...im almost certain that its fuel and oil with a little condensation...not coolant. it smells of it as well, not sweet.

I have not done a leak down test...dont have the tool, yet. I have done a wet compression reading on the suspect cylinder (#8) and it came back holding at 150 psi..unlike the dry test which shoots to 240 psi momentarily, then after cranking, falls to zero.

so, after that wet test, im assuming i have a failed piston ring. am i 100 percent correct, or could i be wrong?

(im no mechanic by trade, i read and watch videos before and after i diagnose something)

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

It's normal for oil to smell like fuel. Modern coolant doesn't smell sweet. Coolant from many years ago smelled sweet and was toxic to animals it attracted. Fuel will quickly evaporate when mixed with oil. It doesn't stay around to leave a frothy cream. Did you test cylinder 8 again cold?
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
It's normal for oil to smell like fuel. Modern coolant doesn't smell sweet. Coolant from many years ago smelled sweet and was toxic to animals it attracted. Fuel will quickly evaporate when mixed with oil. It doesn't stay around to leave a frothy cream. Did you test cylinder 8 again cold?

For the most part, the motor was cold. I could not warm the motor due to that frothy crap spouting and splattering on the ground and the smoke was kinda bad, but i dont want neighbors getting that in their house.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Do you have a black light? A black light in a dark garage can sometimes help reveal leak sources. The leak source shouldn't be hard to find if it's spraying as bad as you say.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

I pinpointed the oil/fluid leak at the O2 sensor/bung (bad weld-sensor not seated right) where it runs down the midpipe. For the oil and what not that makes it past the bung, it comes out the tailpipe. When i took the midpipe off, i can see the inside of the header is wet with oil/fluid. Thats why im thinking uts the rings. I am looking at getting a borescope to look into and under the valve cover through the oil fill hole (carb valve covers) to see if i can visually see if my valve stem seals are obviously bad. Would that be a possibility?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

A valve stem seal would cause smokey startups in the morning. If the leak is frothy, oil and water are mixing. A head gasket is more likely than a cracked block. It's looking like you're going to have to pull the cylinder head soon. The boroscope can show you scraped walls from bad rings. Some parts stores let you rent a radiator pressure tester if you want to see if your coolant system can hold pressure. Put the special cap on your radiator and use the hand pump to inject 10-15psi. You have a coolant leak if it doesn't hold this pressure.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
A valve stem seal would cause smokey startups in the morning. If the leak is frothy, oil and water are mixing. A head gasket is more likely than a cracked block. It's looking like you're going to have to pull the cylinder head soon. The boroscope can show you scraped walls from bad rings. Some parts stores let you rent a radiator pressure tester if you want to see if your coolant system can hold pressure. Put the special cap on your radiator and use the hand pump to inject 10-15psi. You have a coolant leak if it doesn't hold this pressure.

the leak at the o2 bung is an oily mixture, not frothy. its only frothy when it exits the tailpipe.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Okay. You have a good plan then. Valve stem seals and a borosope. Rotate the crank until cylinder 8 is all the way down so you can see if the cylinder walls are damaged.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Okay. You have a good plan then. Valve stem seals and a borosope. Rotate the crank until cylinder 8 is all the way down so you can see if the cylinder walls are damaged.

Can you recommend a good boroscope? I was looking at the wifi one that goes thru your smartphone.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

I've never found a good one at a reasonable price. Get a cheap one with a knob to adjust its LED backlight.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

if i had a valve stem seal leak, would oil reaching the exhaust tailpipe seem plausible? or would it make more sense to be the piston rings? trying to gauge the amount of oil escaping thru my exhaust system, unburned.

also, is there alot of oil under the valve covers/rocker area, that if leaked thru the valve stem seal, would even be enough to reach and exit out the tailpipe?

i hope im making sense...

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Oil can leak past the piston rings. Not easily. It has to be a big valve stem leak. Valve stem leaks first show themselves as smoke on startup after the car has been sitting over night. You can take out a spark plug and pump oil in the cylinder and see if it comes down he header. It'll be a smelly smoke show when you start the car though.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

put another motor in (118k mi from an 89) and still have the same issue....fuel mixture leaking out the exhaust where the clamps are that connect the exhaust tubes. same fricken problem like with the last motor! does this mean the fuel injector harness is bad or the ecm is bad? I ran codes, but nothing that would indicate my problem. just a nss switch code, thats it.

can the FI harness go bad? damn this sucks

[ 2018-07-29, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: fredfifty ]

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would try a different computer to see what happens. Your computer might be fucked to where it's just dumping fuel. Are your o2 sensors connected? Do you go thru gas like no tomorrow? I had the same problem before but I had it because I didn't have any o2 sensors at all so it would just dump fuel. Super strong smell of gas comes out the exhaust.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

I replaced the a9p with an a9L (awhile ago) being that the car was originally an auto but was converted to 5 spd. I also replaced the oxygen sensor harness that was for an 88-90 t-5...my car is a 92, i found out the jumper in the 91-93 o2 harness is different. So i just replaced it. Havent did a full running test on it yet, just a start up. It appeared to have no more fuel leaking from the exhaust clamps...but that was a mini run and it was late at night. Going to run it longer later on in the week or maybe the weekend. Thanks to Tim at Pony Performance for his help.

Yes still have o2’s, matter of fact, new ford ones.

[ 2018-07-31, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: fredfifty ]

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

88-90 t5 harness (which i had, and i believe what was causing fuel to be dumped thru #8 cylinder due to wrong jumper wire position, sending or giving wrong info to o2 sensor from ecm-im no mechanic so bear with me)
 -

Replaced by this 91-93 t5 harness now (hope this solves my problem—running test later in the week)
 -

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah Tim is one knowledgeable dude, hopefully it fixes your problem.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com