Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » YAY. New Issue BHG? *BAD A9L was cause* (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: YAY. New Issue BHG? *BAD A9L was cause*
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I now have a light brownish creamy milkshake-ish liquid flowing/dripping/spitting out the driver side exhaust tail pipe, along with smoke (not steam) because it doesnt smell like coolant, more like normal exhaust smoke and its white.

Now, I did find out i have liquid (brown oily type which im assuming is oil/water) running down from the area of the number 8 cylinder onto my mid-pipe in and around the O2 sensor and it continues running on the under side of my mid-pipe which causes smoke when i run my car (due to the heat). I also noticed, when i got up under the car that the exhaust hanger was transplanted to another part of the mid-pipe, so the original hanger was die grinded off and and now there is an open slice in the mid-pipe where exhaust gases escape...and apparently oil or an oily substance as well, so it drips there too (is there supposed to be oil there? im thinking no)

Back to the leak around the number 8 cylinder area. The wet spots ive noticed are above the area where the head meets the block. The area/parts that are wet is the head bolt by the number 8 cylinder closest to the firewall, the header bolt at the number 8 closest to the firewall as well, and the area on the head near the same header bolt.

is it possible for a HG leak to run UP in those areas i mentioned? The valve cover gasket looks to be leak free in that area, i checked thoroughly. I also checked for any "runs" and couldnt find any other locations on the engine.

I checked the coolant in the radiator and it is normal, coolant rez is almost empty but the bottom of it had green coolant still, no brown stuff. I pulled the dipstick, oil is normal color and at fill level, pulled number 8 spark plug and other than a little wet with fuel, it looks okay to me.

When i have time, i am going to do a coolant exhaust gas test (?) or maybe a compression test on the number 8 cylinder.

in the meantime, do you all think i have a BHG based on what ive told you? Sure hope not, but im thinking i do.

[ 2018-10-01, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: fredfifty ]

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You recently washed your car or got water to go in your tail pipes? I'd wipe everything down good and take a short drive and then check it all out again. It might just be condensation inside your tail pipes.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cash Rules Everything Around Me
 -

The run from the #8 cylinder area
 -

If you look, you can see the oil collecting
 -

Header bolt & Head bolt wet
 -

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
You recently washed your car or got water to go in your tail pipes? I'd wipe everything down good and take a short drive and then check it all out again. It might just be condensation inside your tail pipes.

nope, never washed with a hose so bad as to cause that fluid in my tail pipe. Shes always garaged and hardly driven...what sucks is, i cant let it run long enough because i dont want to do the neighbors dirty by blowing white exhaust smoke everywhere on the block. The pics pretty much show where its originating from, just under the #8 header flange.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is that a twisted valve cover lip in the last picture? Leaks from the back of the lower intake or valve cover are common. Can you use a small telescopic mirror to see back there? It has to be a head gasket or intake leak for coolant and water to mix. Can you do a compression or leak down test?
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take out the plugs on that side of the motor. One of them could look different.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
Is that a twisted valve cover lip in the last picture? Leaks from the back of the lower intake or valve cover are common. Can you use a small telescopic mirror to see back there? It has to be a head gasket or intake leak for coolant and water to mix. Can you do a compression or leak down test?

VC lip is not twisted. I will get a mirror to get look behind the heads and VC. it looks like i will need to have that O2 bung re-done...I am sure it is leaking, and that liquid (smells like a mixture of fuel) is seeping thru a bad weld on that bung. all bad, maybe bad fuel injector ahdunno
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
Take out the plugs on that side of the motor. One of them could look different.

i took out number 8 plug, but i didnt take out any other plug to compare. on the list to do.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Feel for oil with your bare fingers behind the motor if the leak is bad enough. It sounds like a small head gasket leak. A leak down test will reveal it quickly. Look for bubbles in your radiator catch can while the guilty cylinder is being pressurized.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

#8 plug
 -

#7 plug
 -

#5 plug
 -

Wet area behind driver side head
 -

I think im gonna check the torque on that last head bolt...

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

shit that last pic, i just zoomed in and noticed what looks like a crack. Not sure it thats the engine paint coating coming off or what. Gonna check later.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

That much oil shouldn't get past the rings and into the combustion chamber. Are you the valve cover isn't leaking? You could have two issues. A lower intake or valve cover leak and a blown head gasket. Borrow a leak down tester. Make a general talk post. Someone here has to have one.
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm no expert but I'd say the head gasket needs to be replaced. I'd do both to save you from taking apart anytime soon. Is the upper/lower intake wet from underneath or is it all just on the top of the head?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are those stock head bolts on an aluminum head?? [Confused]
Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:

not sure...is that a major issue if they are?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:
quote:

Well you shouldn't reuse stock head bolts at all, I thought the whole time this car was bone stock. No wonder you've been having problems.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:
quote:

Well you shouldn't reuse stock head bolts at all, I thought the whole time this car was bone stock. No wonder you've been having problems.
car came like that...but now i know

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Stock head bolts stretch and can't be reused. ARP head bolts can be reused. If the car came like that, the previous owner had no idea what he was doing. There are bound to be other big mistakes. Look over everything carefully. A klutz wrenched on it in the past.

[ 2018-01-18, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stock heads usually have a freeze plug on the back side. Check that for leaks.
Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Head bolt stretch is most likely not the problem. The bottom head bolt holes penetrate the water jacket. If sealer was not used on the bolts they can leak and cause a blown head gasket.

They don't always leak but it does happen. Pretty sure that is what happened here.

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

I was actually thinking it might be a valve stem seal that went out
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Nope. It's a head gasket. When you put it back together use thread sealer on the bottom head bolts.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
quote:

Nope. It's a head gasket. When you put it back together use thread sealer on the bottom head bolts.
when I took my midpipe off at the header, I can see wet oil in the header...you still think that's a HG issue?
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Go rent a coolant system pressure tester from your favorite parts store. Pressurize the system and watch for leaks.

Pull the plugs and watch/listen for air or water.

The water coming up around the head bolt threads can lift and blow a head gasket. I am pretty sure this has happened to your engine.

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Gonna do a compression test. Is it okay to remove the cold air intake tube while doing the test for easier access to the plugs...or do i need to have it on to perform the test?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com