Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Electrical issue. Help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Electrical issue. Help
NastyNewEdge
¯
Member # 13841

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NastyNewEdge  Ford pictures for NastyNewEdge    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 2001 GT that keeps misfiring and burning off coil.anyone experience the same problem or know a good electrician around the SJ area? 

*I have already changed the ecu and had new one programmed because I was told that could be the problem but problem continues

--------------------
JLuis

Posts: 16 | From: San Jose Ca | Registered: Nov 2014  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do you mean when you say burning off a coil?
NastyNewEdge
¯
Member # 13841

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NastyNewEdge  Ford pictures for NastyNewEdge    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I replaced this certain coil plug several times and it seems to be "burning it off" like it pops out the spring from the coil and makes a ticking sounds. I was told there was too much and continuous current going to it resulting in that coil working improperly. So would that be the wiring harness issue?

--------------------
JLuis

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Has the wiring harness been modified? Someone with the right tool can probe all the coils and look at the signals. This will tell you if the troublesome coil has problems. A simple test might be to unplug all the coils with the battery removed and use an ohm meter to see if they all read the same on both the coil and wiring harness side.
NastyNewEdge
¯
Member # 13841

Thanks Martinna. All fixed now. Looked into the wiring harness and it turned out to be that the harness was rubbing with the EGR exhaust tube that runs in between the back of the engine and firewall and it burned through, exposing the wires and making contact thus causing the short.

--------------------
JLuis

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com