Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Manual Wiring Harness

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Manual Wiring Harness
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 92 is an original V8, but was also an original AOD...which previous owner had swapped to a manual (TR3550). Car starts without pressing in the clutch, an obvious NSS issue. I looked at the trans and the NSS is there, hanging off the trans but it is not hooked up to the harness (nor is there any thing near it, to hook it up to). So I guess I have the AOD harness. If I decide to change it out (idle issues and cant check CEL codes), do I need to remove the whole harness then put in the manual harness to link up the VSS, NSS and backup light switch?

Also, does it matter which ECM you have? I might have the AOD one...not really sure.

[ 2017-11-13, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: fredfifty ]

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your problem isn't with the NSS if the car starts with out pushing in the clutch pedal. There is a clutch pedal switch that's not hooked up. All factory wiring harnesses have plug shorting the connector on automatic cars. Untape and unplug the wiring harness dongle and plug it into your clutch pedal switch. Someone here might know better. The switch is either near the clutch pedal fulcrum or gas pedal fulcrum.
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have nice reconditioned 5 speed harnesses available.
Easy to replace.
You can run an auto ecm in a 5 speed, just not the other way around. You probably have an A9P ecm

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks guys...a thorough search of the web and i found a good detailed install that helped me (visually)

http://www.shortlinegarage.com/2007/09/17/aod-to-t5-a-12-step-program/

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What was the fix?
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
What was the fix?

i ordered the 5 spd harness..so i will install that when i get it, then hook up the clutch pedal switch...hoping that resolves my idle and code 67 issue.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by MUSTTANGUY:
I have nice reconditioned 5 speed harnesses available.
Easy to replace.
You can run an auto ecm in a 5 speed, just not the other way around. You probably have an A9P ecm

i do have an a9p. i also have 24lb injectors with calibrated MAF sensor and CAI. would a 93 cobra ecm be better to use with stock maf and stock airbox?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Installed the manual harness and plugged in both harnesses to the clutch pedal safety switch, still no start. Could that clutch pedal safety switch be bad, do they go bad rather?

After all that i reverted back to the old harness and put the jumper plug back in...now car cranks but struggles to start, but eventually it does and runs like its misfiring or after some research, like its in limp mode.

Dont have a clue as to what it could be, perhaps the ECM went bad? I forgot to mention the CEL is on now, and i couldnt run a self dianostics thru the port by the drivers side strut tower.

So, when i go to start the car, whats wierd is the CEL goes on when i shift into gear, and then goes off when i shift out of gear...is it because i have the NSS hooked up to the trans with the newly added manual harness? im still going with the jumper plug in the black clutch pedal safety switch.

Anybody have a clue as to what the F is going on?

[ 2017-12-04, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: fredfifty ]

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com