Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Clutch options

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Clutch options
93ex chp
¯
Member # 9016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex chp  Ford pictures for 93ex chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking to upgrade the clutch in my 02 gt thats pushing 430rwhp. It has a stock valeo clutch and i must say its been holding up since the day i bought the car, 3 1/2 years. Never slipped once and i have beat it on daily basis. Even after the supercharger it has help up pretty well for the last 6 months no issues at all and pedal effort is perfect to me. I have been looking at centerforce df ($500) or cobra clutch replacement ($289 from promotion powertrain). I have read many horror stories about the centerforce but i did have that clutch on a built and boosted 306 and never gave me an issue this was about 10 years or so ago. On the other hand i have been looking into a cobra style clutch since they seem to hold up fine up to about 550rwhp, which i wont be getting to. Also will be going with a fidanza aluminum flywheel..
Reason to wanting to change it is the motor and trans is out and rather swap it now then fry it and have to swap it later but i know they say if it aint broke dont fix it. Any input and help is appriciated. Thanks cafords [patriot]

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sticky tires are what kill clutches. You can have 1000HP on street radials and the factory clutch will last because your tires will spin before the clutch gets any real stress.

The Cobra clutch is good. Some shops buy an OEM version of the cobra clutch from the same company Ford buys it from and sell it as a cobra clutch. It doesn't come in a Ford box with a Ford part number. If you buy it from Summit or other Ford Racing authorized shops, you'll get a genuine cobra clutch.

[ 2017-11-07, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

93ex chp
¯
Member # 9016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex chp  Ford pictures for 93ex chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Figured since the motor and trans is out of the car it would be a good time to replace both but i think im just going to do just that and spend the money on other parts
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
The Cobra clutch is good. Some shops buy an OEM version of the cobra clutch from the same company Ford buys it from and sell it as a cobra clutch. It doesn't come in a Ford box with a Ford part number. If you buy it from Summit or other Ford Racing authorized shops, you'll get a genuine cobra clutch.

4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I loved the Centerforce DF that I had in my fox and would use one again.

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com