Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Sn95 spuddering nopower

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Sn95 spuddering nopower
nayr
¯
Member # 8820

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayr  Ford pictures for nayr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just picked up this car the problem had gotten worse over the week popping thru the intake spuddering nopower did cap rotor wires plugs and maf sensor still no improvement timing set at 13 deg adv from what I can tell car has bolt on with f-cam any help would be appreciated thank you

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not enough timing or fuel. Is the spout connector in? Does unplugging the MAF help? Computer codes might give you a clue.
nayr
¯
Member # 8820

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayr  Ford pictures for nayr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Spout connector is in total timing at 36 #24 injectors with matching maf codes are 117 ect sensor and 217 coil #3 failure

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

nayr
¯
Member # 8820

I'm going to go thru the engine harness today and check all connections and ground's

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

nayr
¯
Member # 8820

I unplugged the maf and problem stopped what does that mean

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If a coil pack #3 is bad, move it to the other side of the engine. If the error code moves with the coil, replace the coil.

Unplugging the MAF fixing the problem means the problem could be the MAF reading lean. Did debris or K&N oil get on its elements?

nayr
¯
Member # 8820

It only has one coil it's a 95 5.0 the maf is brand new

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Did the MAF ever work right? It's probably not matched to your injectors. Does your EEC have a chip?
nayr
¯
Member # 8820

Only had the car for a week not sure if ever worked right it is matched to the injectors I haven't looked for a chip yet

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

With out a chip, how do you know you have 36 degrees total timing? Put on a stock MAF or one rated for 19lbs injectors to test.

[ 2017-09-26, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

nayr
¯
Member # 8820

I have a digital timing light tell's me the degrees I'm try to see if I can Barrow a stock maf

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

With the spout connected plugged in the computer always changes the timing. Your reading of 36 doesn't mean much. Check for a chip on the EEC.
nayr
¯
Member # 8820

So I found out that it still has the automatic eec in the car so looks like I need a 5 speed eec my question is should I get a cobra eec to work with my 24 pound injectors or gt eec and keep the calibrated maf

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

nayr
¯
Member # 8820

Never mind double check my eec is t4m0 with no chip very dirty in side hole not covered

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

The cobra calibrates 24 lbs injectors in the computer, not the MAF. Stock heads? 19 lbs injectors are good for stock heads. Which MAF do you have?
nayr
¯
Member # 8820

Summit maf Cal for 24 pound injectors I have 24 pound injectors not sure what heads they look stock now that I replace the ect sensor I have no codes except for the maf being unplugged maybe bad dizzy it is msd

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

A bad maf or injector maf mismatch is my guess. To check the dizzy, unplug the spout connector and rev the motor while checking timing. Timing should be locked. Next plug in the spout and rev the motor. The timing should advance. Don't over look vacuum leaks, a bad plug, a bad wire.
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuel Pressure?

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

nayr
¯
Member # 8820

No fuel psi is 39 found the problem in the o2 sensor circuit haven't looked at it yet to see if it's wiring or sensors

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

nayr
¯
Member # 8820

So I got power and ground to the o2 sensors output volts are 1.22 at part throttle and bounce at idol .1-1.2 volts not sure if this is normal reading with o2 sensors unplugged it runs great

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

You can't test O2 sensors like that. What if you unplug only one of them? Try unplugging one at a time. Clear the computer codes and drive around. Scan for codes and post them.
nayr
¯
Member # 8820

Replaced 02 sensors problem fixed thank you for your help

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Good job. Did the computer codes tell you the O2 sensors were bad, or else how did you figure it out?
nayr
¯
Member # 8820

The ecm was throwing a extra digit in the flash codes had codes that didn't make sense removed one digit and found 02 sensor codes that's when I tested output voltage and found them out of range also the part number were wrong

--------------------
89 LS coupe sold
95 gt

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Easy fixes are good. The part number difference probably caused no harm.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com