Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Electric fan wiring with battery relocation

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Electric fan wiring with battery relocation
BayAreaNotch
Member # 12248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BayAreaNotch  Ford pictures for BayAreaNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently did a motor swap on my notch. I cleaned up the engine bay and decided to relocate the battery to the trunk. I upgraded from clutch fan to electric. I have a switch that I use to manually turn on the fan with a 30 amp fuse. Right now I am getting power from the solenoid in the engine bay and I grounded the negative to the body. (I sanded the area to bare metal). Right now my car starts over heating while in town. I pulled the black magic fan and I connected it directly to a battery and it sounded like it has twice as much power when I connect it directly to the battery. Is it possible that it isn't getting enough juice with the ground wire bolted to the body and positive to the solenoid.? Should I rewire my fan directly to the battery in my trunk? Any tips and adive will be greatly appreciated!
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You probably have a lossy connection somewhere. Maybe a bad ground. Maybe a bad connection. Run the fan and feel around things like the fuse holder, does it get warm? Any connection that gets warm after running the fan for a few minutes means that connection is lossy and costing you power. Do you have a volt meter to measure the voltage right at the fan?
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most likely your switch is not up to the task. High amp accessories work best with a relay. Wire in a relay and let the switch turn the relay on and off. Use the switch on the ground for the relay is best.
Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com