Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Update! Rev limiter 02 gt

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Update! Rev limiter 02 gt
93ex chp
¯
Member # 9016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex chp  Ford pictures for 93ex chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some info on the car before stating my issues
Vortech v2 intercooled set up with blow thru hpx maf
Stage 2 cams 39# injectors 300lph bbk fuel pump 410 gear. tuned at aed.
Anyways on to the headache
Driving my car the other day and decided to get on it in first gear car fried the tires and hit the limiter for about 3-4 seconds i then shifted into 2nd and kept going full throttle car rans fine until i got to a stop light where the car fell on its face and then would not start. First things i checked were all pipings and couplers to see if they had blown off but nothing every coupler checkd out good..i tried starting the car and it wont start unless i have the gas pedal depressed and when it does starts it acts like its not getting enough fuel boogs out and dies. If i keep the pedal depressed it does rev up and from what i can tell theres no unusual mechanical noises coming from engine but it does leave a strong smell of gas coming from tail pipes. No coolant in oil or none of that either. I then swaped out the fuel rail pressure sensor with a good working one and still nothing. No gas in the vacuum line or oil. Fuel pump primes when key is tuned on. Dont know what else to check for any tips or suggestions is appriciated!!! Next thing too check is for ruptured fuel pump line inside the pump assembly

[ 2018-04-05, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: 93ex chp ]

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the spark plugs. Most limiters lean the engine out. You could have melted a plug.
93ex chp
¯
Member # 9016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ex chp  Ford pictures for 93ex chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Update!! So after putting the car on the back burner for months i finally got back to it. I swapped out the engine with a healthy motor and added a centerforce clutch paired with a fidanza flywheel and bbk longtubes with catted xpipe aluminum radiator and edelbrok water pump also a set of fresh plugs. I buttoned everything up double and trippled check every connection, i go to start the car AND ITS ACTING EXACTLY THE SAME AS BEFORE THE SWAP!! Still no C.E.L is thrown and the car with the maf (vmp hpx5000) unplugged idles for 5-7 seconds surging and i could hear detonation in the cylinders before stalling out. With the maf plugged in the car tunrs over starts up revs to about 1500 rpms but then immediatly dies. Could it be that i fried the maf sensor some how or another sensor causing this very big headache any suggestions and help is greatly appriciated!!
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not all computer errors turn on the CEL. You need to plug in a scanner to see if any codes are stored.
93ex chp
¯
Member # 9016

Another update.
Other then cams and fuel pump i Returned the car to stock form. Although i did drop the tank to check fuel line and connections inside the tank and all seemed fine. Fuel pump primes when key is at on position and reads 40psi but during cranking the psi levels jump around between 20-40 psi. Anyways stock Injectors, maf, spark plugs and tune Went back on the car and still no damn luck!! Still doing the same thing. I also tried replacing the CCRM, FPCM and inertia switch from my last gt(same part numbers on them) and no luck with that either. So can it be a faulty fuel pump or the pcm got cooked somehow? Going to swap the stock pump back in and see what happens then if not a trip to the shop it is [Mad]

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Does your fuel system have a return line?
93ex chp
¯
Member # 9016

No returnless style system
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
Does your fuel system have a return line?

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Not all errors turn on the CEL light. Did you scan for codes?
93ex chp
¯
Member # 9016

No codes. Put the stock gas pump back in and still the same. Double checked all fuses/relays, grounds and connections and everything is good. Im thinkin the pcm, is there anyway to check or test it somehow?
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Can you borrow an ODB-II datalogger ? If it's injecting too much fuel, a sensor isn't reading right. Could it be the camshaft position sensor? The sensor would have failed after seeing high RPM. A cam sensor could have failed when you hit the limiter.
93ex chp
¯
Member # 9016

Now that you mention that camshaft position sensor, On my hand held tuner i notice the timing is all over the place it jumps around from like -2 to as high as 41! Also when i hold the gas pedal to keep it running, lots of white smoke and raw fuel smell comes from tail pipes
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ignition spark timing? That's normal while driving the car. The computer always changes the timing while you're driving.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com