Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Accessing Shifter Plate Bolts

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Accessing Shifter Plate Bolts
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a tremec 3550 with a pro 5.0 shifter so it has 6 bolts securing it to the trans, i am having trouble accessing the 2 forward bolts (2 closest to the front) as they are directly (mostly) under the tunnel hump and hard to get a wrench on (swivel socket too). if i were to cut a small section of the tunnel that is above the bolts, so i could fold it up in order to get a wrench on the bolts...would that affect the integrity of the floor pan at all?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No it won't unless you feel like doing duke of hazard jumps in it. I've been noticing you are concerned over the littlest things on this car. Is it a two owner car or something?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
No it won't unless you feel like doing duke of hazard jumps in it. I've been noticing you are concerned over the littlest things on this car. Is it a two owner car or something?

just want to get input on certain things im not familiar with, youngling. im more concerned about if it will tear where i cut or what...but thanks for the input. i dont plan on jumping mounds of dirt [Wink]
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:

just want to get input on certain things im not familiar with, youngling. im more concerned about if it will tear where i cut or what...but thanks for the input. i dont plan on jumping mounds of dirt [Wink]
No it should be good. I'd say maybe if you cut out a lot it would but something that small I don't think it'll hurt anything. No problem oldling [Razz] [patriot]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

also, the reason im trying to get this thing off is because the shifts seemed sloppy, so after researching it...i found out a shifter bushing might be the culprit. Other than that, i wouldnt have touched this headache of a part, well headache to me atleast.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Got those fuckers out. It saves headaches and money if this is your trade and you know your shit, not to mention already knowing what tools you would need. In this case, i was notioned to use an offset boxed end which worked wonders in this case. So, anyone who has a tremec in their car and they want to change the shifter, use an offset 13mm to grab those fucking forward bolts to take those sumbitches out. No cutting needed, thank god.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a good thing you didn't cut up your car. Cutting up a floor board instead of using the proper tool shows the craftsmanship of the owner. Do the job right with the right tool. Respect your craftsmanship and your car. Next time if you need more clearance, drop your transmission mount. The tail of the transmission will sag, giving you more room between the floor pan and nut. The bolt should be 1/2", not 13mm. 13mm will strip or damage the head if it's on real tight.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com