Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Oil cooler spinning off with oil filter WTF?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Oil cooler spinning off with oil filter WTF?
steeters
¯
Member # 14324

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for steeters  Ford pictures for steeters    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1994 Mustang Cobra**

Oil filter won’t come off. I tried all my tools for this (3-arm, filter wrench, etc)…doesn’t matter because it appears that the oil filter is stuck on so tightly it is causing the stock oil cooler housing to spin.

I can see the oil cooler hoses moving anyway, so I assume the cooler screws into the block the same as an oil filter…and the cooler is the first thing to “give” in this scenario.

Anyway, I’m open to suggestions.

There’s not a lot of room to work up in there…but is there a way to hold the oil cooler in place (the filter is still attached) while I torque on the filter?

Would you suggest that I remove the hoses from the cooler and just spin the filter and the cooler off at the same time…and then remove the filter on a bench?

Any other ideas.

**Bought the car used, so this is my first oil change on the car and don’t know what gorilla put the filter on.

Thanks, Steve

--------------------
Steve

steeters
¯
Member # 14324

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for steeters  Ford pictures for steeters    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Update

I got the oil filter off. Since it appeared the oil cooler housing was moving too, after I got the filter off I put a 1-1/16 socket on the oil filter shaft in the cooler housing.

I tightened it to 50ft/lbs. I didn't notice the cooler housing moving. I hope that does the trick...I assume that is how the oil cooler is held to the block.

I'll check for leaks in the morning. I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has some advice. I'd be interested as I've not dug into this situation before.

--------------------
Steve

MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That adapter goes through the cooler holding it to the block. By tightening it down you should be good (provided the rubber "O" ring was in good condition. Also when you put oil filter onto cooler always put alittle oil on the filters "O" ring so it wont stick to cooler. This goes for when oil filters are screwed directly to block as well to keep them from sticking.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
People get crazy over tightening the oil filter for no reason. It doesn't need to be that tight. Lube the O ring on the filter with light film of oil and only snug the filter on. If you need a wrench to remove your filter, you're probably over tightening it for no reason.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com