Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Spark plug gaps!??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Spark plug gaps!??
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kuku93  Ford pictures for kuku93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Question. I've built a 347 stroker N/A, and wondering why my car does not like to turn on when it's hot. Cold starts it'll run ok then turns off. But when I try starting it up it won't turn over. My question is, can a spark plug cause this to happen? I believed my gap is at .40 NGK UR4IX #7401. I've check every ground and everything is ok. I'm stuck on this. Any help would be awesome!
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tuned? Aluminum heads? Injectors? MAF? New issue? Persisting issue? Need more info.

I have AFRs running Autolite 3924s gapped at .035 with my 347.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kuku93  Ford pictures for kuku93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not tuned yet. Dart eagle iron heads. 36lb injectors MAF converted. Forged bottom end. When I pull the number one spark plug. Its black and with the smell of gas. It's been an I'm going issue for a while. It's a new fresh build. Haven't even broken it in with 1 mile yet. Still trying to get it to the right degree but it won't stay on for a while for me to get it. I'm using a megasquirt ecu tuned for the injectors and the base map.
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

Not tuned yet. Dart eagle iron heads. 36lb injectors MAF converted. Forged bottom end. When I pull the number one spark plug. Its black and with the smell of gas. It's been an I'm going issue for a while. It's a new fresh build. Haven't even broken it in with 1 mile yet. Still trying to get it to the right degree but it won't stay on for a while for me to get it. I'm using a megasquirt ecu tuned for the injectors and the base map.
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need to pull fuel out. If you have a wideband, use it. If you don't have one, get one. There should be a table for cold start fuel and warm start fuel. Other than that, you need to base your idle and air/fuel on maf transfer functions as well as high and low slopes.

But you do not want a new motor that rich. If it's not starting because there's too much fuel, you can wash out the rings.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

Ok thank you
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Listen to SLOWSN95. With out a tune, your new injectors are squirting twice as much fuel during startup than the motor needs. Tell your tuner to cut it in half. Another thing that makes a difference on startup is your timing advance.
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

I have a mega squirt and it has something called the live tune and tunes the tables for you as the rpm's go up. But I think I have the wrong spark plugs on there. I still need to tune my FPR. But without my car staying on when it's hot, I can't do those. Currently have the NGK IRIDUM IX #7401 in them and those are not the right ones. The guy who told me to get them is an idiot. And sadly i listened
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

So I talked to the people about my engine specs. Dart recommends to use the Autolite ar23 for those heads. So I guess I'll try those out and see how they perform.
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Give us some more info about your setup. I can possibly help you out a bit.

What I need to know is what...

Cam specs
Compression ratio
What maf?

There is a calculation for everything. But before you start experimenting, get an AEM wideband and have it installed. Aggressive cams like timing, some injectors need higher base pressure for better spray patterns (I'd set it to 45lbs with no vacuum)

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com