Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1994 Cobra with 49 state smog equip - Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1994 Cobra with 49 state smog equip - Question
steeters
¯
Member # 14324

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for steeters  Ford pictures for steeters    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi,

I did the search thing on here and elsewhere. I didn't find my answer and I thought someone here could help.

I'm lining up a purchase of a '94 cobra from out of state. Supposed to be completely stock, including 49 state emissions.

Questions
Anyone had any issue registering/smogging a 49 state emissions vehicle brought into CA?
Any chance all cobras came with factory 50 state emissions anyway?
Assuming all the equipment is there for emissions and visual smog check, any issues that I should be aware of?
Thanks!
Steve

--------------------
Steve

steeters
¯
Member # 14324

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for steeters  Ford pictures for steeters    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me rephrase that question down to what I really wanted to know...

Anyone know if a car sold on the west coast, but not in CA (like this '94 cobra), would come from the factory with 50 state emissions equipment?

It just seems like a lower production engine configuration like the cobra's, where they probably sold most of them in CA anyway, might have just been sold with CA/50state emissions equipment.

I can pop the hood when I see it, but was just curious.

Thanks,

[ 2017-06-27, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: steeters ]

--------------------
Steve

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only issue with registering a 49 state car purchased out of state is if it has less than 7500 miles.
Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Years ago, I purchased a '97 Cobra from AK. I didn't have any issues registering it in CA. Get it to pass smog, take it to the DMV for a VIN check and you're set.
steeters
¯
Member # 14324

Thanks for the replies. I got the car home and it has the 49 state "federal emissions" sticker.

Not a problem, but I was curious if it would have CA factory emissions stuff...even though it was originally delivered into Oregon.

Either way, off for smog/DMV on Monday. It's a 1994 time capsule so it should be fine.

--------------------
Steve

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you smog, set your base timing to the minimum allowed, 7 degrees exactly. This will help you pass. Post pictures when you get it, clean 94 snakes are rare.
steeters
¯
Member # 14324

Passed smog and registered the car with no problems.
I'll post up some pictures once I take a few that are better looking than it sitting in a parking lot.
66k original miles and the only modification is a Fram air filter. One owner car, and it came with the window sticker, all the SVT certificates, a 20% Bond Bondurant Driving School coupon, owner's manual, etc. I'm not a car show guy, but I have to admit I do like that the original owner kept all that stuff.
Original paint is in amazing condition and the leather has just a few wrinkles but otherwise perfect.
I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

--------------------
Steve

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can't wait to see the pictures. Sounds like you got a real gem there. The next time smog is due, consider retarding your timing to the minimum limit of 7 degrees. Everyone should use this easy trick to help them pass.
KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any vehicle without a sticker gets treated as A 49 state car. There realy has not bee much of an issue on getting 49 state cars smogged in ca since the mid 90s

As long as all the factory equipment is in place.

Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com