Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog referee, 2.3 to 5.0 swap Q's????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog referee, 2.3 to 5.0 swap Q's????
Brokn Nx
¯
Member # 8526

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brokn Nx  Ford pictures for Brokn Nx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 87 GT was damaged last night, and one of the ideas I'm considering instead of fixing it is to swap all the mechanicals into a same year four-cylinder notch. The donor car is all stock, so it passes visual and mechanical with ease.

What is the process for getting the car inspected once all the stock 5.0 parts are swapped into the notch? I've seen guys with a BAR sticker in the doorjamb for engine swaps. The swap I'd like to do is both cars are 1987 builds, so no newer motor type thing is going on. Do I still need to go to the ref? Or can I put this together and just take it in for a smog check? My smog guy sees no problem with this, and really, he's the one who would send me to the ref if it needs to be stickerd.

--------------------
85-0001 Saleen Mustang
88-362 Saleen Notch
85-090 Saleen Hatch
67 Stang Coupe

Posts: 333 | From: Santa Maria, CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
BTLD GT
¯
Member # 5229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BTLD GT  Ford pictures for BTLD GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no bar sticker required if the vehicle came factory with the engine your installing, just make sure all the smog equipment is installed.

--------------------
2000 Cobra R

Brokn Nx
¯
Member # 8526

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brokn Nx  Ford pictures for Brokn Nx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice!

--------------------
85-0001 Saleen Mustang
88-362 Saleen Notch
85-090 Saleen Hatch
67 Stang Coupe

Posts: 333 | From: Santa Maria, CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No emission label gets smoked as a 48 state.emmissions. So loose the 4 cylinder sticker.
Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im almost sure you need to go to the referee since the vin and registration form will say its supposed to be a 4 banger but now its a 5.0L.

Just transfer all your 5.0L goodies over to the 4 banger and go to the referee and spend the $8.25 and take care of the certification and the smog check all at once.

--------------------
Project 93GT500 has started
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
88 Mach 1 Coupe MM&FF 6/14 (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com