Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1989 Mustang lx 2.3 cranks but won't start

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1989 Mustang lx 2.3 cranks but won't start
BayAreaNotch
Member # 12248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BayAreaNotch  Ford pictures for BayAreaNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just bought an 89 notchback 2.3. Tried turning it on but seemed like the starter would drag so I changed it out. Now it cranks but still wont start. Almost sounds like it does not have gas. I dont think the kill switch in the trunk has anything to do with it because when I turn the key I can hear the pump engage. Distrubutor cap looks new and so does the alternator. I put 3 gallons of gas and still does not turn on.

Any help would be appriciated.

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To make fire you need gas, air and a spark. Take out a plug and see if it smells like gas. Ground the body of the plug and see if it sparks. If you have gas air and spark, and the engine still doesn't start, it's probably a timing issue.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com