Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1986 mustang not starting after hitting a bump

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1986 mustang not starting after hitting a bump
BLoWN FR500
¯
Member # 8766

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLoWN FR500  Ford pictures for BLoWN FR500    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So the other day I was driving and I hit a small dip on the freeway and ever since my car has started to act weird. So now every time I hit a bump, pothole, dip etc at about 20 mph and higher, I'm guessing my fuel pump cuts out for a half second. Just at impact i get fuel cut off. Now here's the tricky part. First gear light turns green I hit the gas and go the car will start bogging if I give it half throttle or more, second gear, It was also about somewhat. Third gear I would get a buck(small misfire). Also when I left turns it try's to cut off.

2 days later I go warm up the car. Leave my house and it dies. Can't hear the pump, nor any relays click as I turn the key. I had a issue a couple months ago with a lose body to block ground wire that was causing my injectors/fuel pump not to turn on. It feels like the damn near same issue but this time I hear no relays clicking on or off. The ground seems to be fine and in tack but idk I'm just lost at what to do. It's a 86 mustang that I converted to maf.

--------------------
92 Fobra Supercharged - Stolen
89 Turbod Fobra - Sold
90 Lx - Sold
86 Lx - Sold
96 Cobra

I Stay Charged Like The Energizer Bunny

Posts: 1226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
BLoWN FR500
¯
Member # 8766

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLoWN FR500  Ford pictures for BLoWN FR500    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Almost forgot....I also reset the inertia switch. Still nothing

--------------------
89 Turbod Fobra - Sold
90 Lx - Sold
86 Lx - Sold
96 Cobra

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you have a lose connection causing to lose power. Yesterday, my negative battery cable came loose some how and I started to lose power in the highway. Lucky I was driving to school and managed to find the issue and was a quick easy fix.
But I would diagnose a bad fuel pump.

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
BLoWN FR500
¯
Member # 8766

It's definitely something that came lose, I had already changed the pump about 2 months ago.

--------------------
89 Turbod Fobra - Sold
90 Lx - Sold
86 Lx - Sold
96 Cobra

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The inertia switch could be bad, or the fuel pump relay.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com