Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Timing help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Timing help
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kuku93  Ford pictures for kuku93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anybody in the Modesto area that can help me time and tune my engine right? Willing to pay also
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It should be easy to set the timing. Lots of guides online and in your shop manual. Post here if you have questions about it. The mechanical and electrical should be done right. No leaks of any kind, bad connections or poor grounds, things like that. Only then you can tune the EEC. Set the timing to 10 degrees for an EEC tune and 7 degrees for a smog tune. Mark the balancer at 10 degrees. Use masking tape to make a clean line on the balancer with some white paint so you can easily see it with your timing light.
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kuku93  Ford pictures for kuku93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wish it was that easy. Or I'd be driving or by now. Because of the aftermarket dampener. The timing pointer is on the opposite side of where it should be. My teacher did that when we built it. So I can't see the pointer at all under the water pump
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your problem doesn't seem that bad. You can buy cheap boroscopes that plug into your android phone or laptop so you can see inside your cylinder. Stick it in cylinder #1 and rotate the crank until you see on the camera the piston is at top dead center. Summit and other places sell balancer sticker tape that has timing marks on it. Now that you know the crank is at zero degrees top dead center, you can put on a new timing pointer and marking sticker tape on the balancer. There are other ways to find top dead center too, anyone here have another idea? Learn how to do it yourself, otherwise you'll be paying people for the rest of your life and own no knowledge.
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

No no I know how to find top dead center. I've found it. Just the actually degree it. The timing pointer is on the opposite of where the old one should be at. So I can't see it very well
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

A thin piece of aluminum tape placed on your harmonic balancer at 10 degrees before top dead center can make the timing mark easier to see. This tape is used to hold together AC ducts. If this doesn't work, with the engine off rotate the crank so the timing pointer shows 0 degrees. Now with the timing balancer sticker tape I told you about earlier, stick it on your balancer so the new pointer you'll install on the left side of the motor shows 0 degrees.

[ 2017-04-16, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

Ok Ima try that thank you

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com