Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Heater issues

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Heater issues
BLoWN FR500
¯
Member # 8766

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLoWN FR500  Ford pictures for BLoWN FR500    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently installed a new sve radiator, 160 thermostat, dual fans, upper and low intake manifold on my foxbody. Now my heater stop blowing hot air. The car takes a while to get hot now but when it gets to operating temperatures my heater blows warm for about 3-4 seconds and then blows cold.

My heater was working perfectly before so I doubt my heater core went out on me....or did it. Any suggestions would help before changing out the core.

--------------------
92 Fobra Supercharged - Stolen
89 Turbod Fobra - Sold
90 Lx - Sold
86 Lx - Sold
96 Cobra

I Stay Charged Like The Energizer Bunny

Posts: 1226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i don't mean to make it sound like a simple question.
so the heat that blows into your cabin, is actually the heat from the water in your engine that typically stays in a heat range of at least 192 degrees. by you upgrading your stock cooling components and making your new temp 160 degrees, the water in the engine is no longer "hot" enough to blow like it used to.
now your heater is blowing heat that is around the 160 degree range.

the reason why it is hot at first is because, when you initially start your heater you have "some" heat built up and after your 3 seconds that your experiencing is all heat your heater can give until it gets cold and does not have enough heat to build up again due to your new temp range of 160 degrees.

to fix this
replace your 160 with a 192 thermostat...just do it, its cold season and you don't need it, save it and re install it for the summer time.

while your at it, think smart and buy a fail safe thermostat "they are designed so that it wont get stuck closed causing overheating"

*don't try and trick your car by leaving the 160 and twisting the knob on your fans so that they turn on later.

dont replace your heater core "yet"

please update or correct me if i misunderstood.

[ 2017-01-15, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Stangn5oh ]

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A 160 thermostat in a computer controlled vehicle is not a good idea.
Your car needs to warm up to the 180 range for the computer to start reading sensor values (closed loop), if not it will run on fixed values (open loop). And not allow any compensation resulting in richer fuel mixture among other things.
I would not go lower than 180

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

BLoWN FR500
¯
Member # 8766

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLoWN FR500  Ford pictures for BLoWN FR500    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys! I will definitely do this, and update u guys!!

--------------------
92 Fobra Supercharged - Stolen
89 Turbod Fobra - Sold
90 Lx - Sold
86 Lx - Sold
96 Cobra

I Stay Charged Like The Energizer Bunny

Posts: 1226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Two simple things to try. First pull the hoses off and flush the heater core in both directions. The other possibility is an air bubble in the lines to or in the heater core. Try pulling a hose part way off when running. Only do this when the engine is cold. The outlet line would be best.
Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com