Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » (PTV) piston to valve clearance

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: (PTV) piston to valve clearance
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just got my new heads came with 2.110 valves so i clayed the pistons with playdoe and set my valve lash at 0 and rotated motor over and checked had .094 on the intake and .086 on the exhuast is that good or need more clearance its a sbf windsor solid roller

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You generally want a minimum clearance of .080" on the intake and .100" on the exhaust. Some cam manufacturers say .100" on the intake and .125" on the exhaust. Either way, your exhaust side looks a little tight. You could either use a notching tool like this, or if you're running 1.7 ratio rockers, you could drop down to 1.6's.

You might be able to advance the cam to gain clearance. Advancing the cam will increase your exhaust clearance but decrease your intake clearance. Normally 1 degree will gain you .010" of clearance. So in your case you could get your intake to .084" and exhaust to .096". That'd be close, but finding a timing set that will advance or retard in 1 degree increments is going to be expensive. Most timing sets advance or retard in 2 or 4 degree increments.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you have your head torqued on with a gasket installed when you took those measurements?
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes head was torqued down and already running 1.6 ratio rockers so thoose specs are to tight you think changing head gasket thickness hould work also right

[ 2016-10-18, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: 1fastmach1 ]

--------------------
1993 CHP sold
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can stack an MLS gasket to get some extra clearance, but it's not something I personally would do. The extra .020" you'd need will lower your compression ratio. Not by a lot, but for example, if you had a 9.3:1 with a .039" gasket, you'd bump down to an 8.9:1 with a .059" gasket. More importantly though, you create a greater chance of blowing out the head gasket.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

ok well used a .043 mls head gasket from fel pro and now have .100 on the intake and .090 on the exhuast think that will work any thoughts or still to tight have brand new valve springs and will change every off season

--------------------
1993 CHP sold
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com