Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Why wont my 5 stay on?/ Might need a mobile mechanic

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Why wont my 5 stay on?/ Might need a mobile mechanic
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 23boy5.0  Ford pictures for 23boy5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been dealing with this for a while and I finally narrowed the problem down to fuel delivery. i have good spark, new ignition parts, new fuel pump relays, reconnected the rear fuel cut off (and made sure the button is pushed all the way down), filled the tank w/ gas, new fuel filter and the fuel pump is only 300 miles old. I don't know why my 5 isnt staying on. It will start with starter spray then cuts off, im also getting little to no fuel pressure at the rail.. I personally think It has something to do with wiring, but that isnt my strong point. I checked voltage everywhere and it seems fine.. Might be easy for a pro to look at it tho so if theres any mechanics around concord who could lend a hand. I'd appreciate the help, and I have cash, thanks
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ignition switch. Not where the key goes but down on the steering column.
Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your grounds. My fuel pump wouldn't go on even though my whole setup is new. I had a bad ground and as soon as I got it grounded my car fired right up.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuel regulator on the rail? Double check the wiring to the fuel pump. Prior to my switching fuel pumps, my ground wire to the pump was barely connecting. You mentioned it's a new pump so I assume you already checked it. Check it with a meter.
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23boy5.0  Ford pictures for 23boy5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
Ignition switch. Not where the key goes but down on the steering column.

That may be it. Do you know what color wire to look for?
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23boy5.0  Ford pictures for 23boy5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
Check your grounds. My fuel pump wouldn't go on even though my whole setup is new. I had a bad ground and as soon as I got it grounded my car fired right up.

i can hear my pump come on, but my main batteries ground gets real hot when I try to start the car... I don't know the significance but it may have something to do with it. Where was your bad ground?
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

quote:
Originally posted by Marks93:
Fuel regulator on the rail? Double check the wiring to the fuel pump. Prior to my switching fuel pumps, my ground wire to the pump was barely connecting. You mentioned it's a new pump so I assume you already checked it. Check it with a meter.

I checked the voltage of the main lead to the fuel pump, which was good but I dont know about the ground. And yea, Im thinking of ordering one of those adjustable fuel pressure regulators off ebay.

[ 2016-10-05, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: 23boy5.0 ]

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 23boy5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:

i can hear my pump come on, but my main batteries ground gets real hot when I try to start the car... I don't know the significance but it may have something to do with it. Where was your bad ground?
Oh ok my fuel pump would never kick on at all till I was grounded. It was my main harness near the coil. What size pump are you running?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is the ignition switch.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ignition-swit784242342719ch-8793.html

They will separate and not make good contacts. Resulting in all kinds of symptoms.
It is something to check.

[ 2016-10-05, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: 4IDFOX ]

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
This is the ignition switch.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ignition-swit784242342719ch-8793.html

They will separate and not make good contacts. Resulting in all kinds of symptoms.
It is something to check.

ordered it... i'm still going to install a new 255lph fuel pump... hope it works out

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com