Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » The goal is 2800 lbs.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: The goal is 2800 lbs.
OneBeastieIbe89
¯
Member # 14426

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBeastieIbe89  Ford pictures for OneBeastieIbe89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just came back from the local dump and put my car on the scale to see her weight at the moment. And the scale read 2920lbs without me .. I'm sure the scales are off because with me in the car it read 3120lbs .And I know I weigh 182lbs .

That means the scale is off by 20 lbs roughly. The goal with me in the car is 2800 lbs or so.. Around that figure doesn't have to be exact.. Can this be achieved ?

My car is a 89lx hatchback. So far what I've taking out the car is rear seats and padding
Smog , a/c and heater deleted.
Front sway bar

That's pretty much it.

everything else is still stock on car.

Thanks..

KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Depending what wheels you have, you can loose 10-15 lbs per wheel. Don't forget the spare too. There are aluminum spates out there.
Posts: 196 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
aluminum heads, aluminum drive shaft wheels where mentioned already

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

OneBeastieIbe89
¯
Member # 14426

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBeastieIbe89  Ford pictures for OneBeastieIbe89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sweet!thank you for the input. ill be ordering a k member kit soon.along with some light weight wheels.. . looking into MM or Z.. thanks again..
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
99-04 gt front brake calipers are aluminum and a lot lighter than the factory cast 4 lug stuff.

dogbone off the rear diff

aluminum inner bumpers off a early fox, or delete the bumpers and bumper crumple zone struts and radiator support completely and replace with round tube.

swap to manual steering rack and dump all the power stuff

swap to a light electric fan

swap to a lithium "racing" battery, they're expensive but can be worth a 30lb savings vs the stock style battery (10lbs vs 40lbs)

ditch the wing off the hatch, ditch the tailpipes and run turndowns/dumps, ditch the cats for pipe

remove the sound deadoning, carpet, headliner, and interior panels, remove the HVAC box and ducting and blower motor/etc behind the dash shell, ditch the stereo and speakers

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you could always start using meth and lose a bunch of weight.
OneBeastieIbe89
¯
Member # 14426

quote:
Originally posted by [SHO]TIME:
you could always start using meth and lose a bunch of weight.

I spend enough money on the car already as it is. no room for dope expenses .. Lol
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Removing the metal dog bone under the differential will save a few pounds. The factory seats and wheels are heavy. After these things, you have to start removing a lot of one or three pound parts.

[ 2016-10-18, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com