Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Radiator Help Needed!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Radiator Help Needed!!
fastsvo
Member # 14381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastsvo  Ford pictures for fastsvo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Guys, I have a '91 with an S-trim (standard install,nothing special) that needs a new radiator.

This car used to have a brass 3 row radiator and the factory clutch fan. I just bought an American Eagle 2 row radiator and it's too thick because the S-trim's tensioner gets in the way when trying to hang the factory fan shroud. I even tried mocking up a contour dual fan kit I have (fans hits the blower belt).

Some notes: My old brass radiator's thickness measured exactly at 2".

This American Eagle unit measures out to 2"3/8' but their website says its 2.1" thick...anyways, its still an issue.

Radiator Dimensions:
Total: 19.25" tall (with cap) x 29.25" wide
Core: 16.75" tall x 24.5" wide x 2.13" thick Inlet: 1.25" passenger side Outlet: 1.5"
driver side Tanks: 2.75" thick Tubes: 1" thick

Yes, the factory fan was notched at the bottom where it meets the crank pulley with the old radiator and perhaps I need to complete that notch all the way around? What should I do? Move the wiring harnesses behind the rad support in order to pull the radiator closer to the support frame (sounds like a PITA)? Buy a thinner radiator?

The Champion 2-row measures out to 1.75" thick, while the 3 row is apparently thicker than my American Eagle unit.

A few things at my disposal are: Griffin Dominator Rad (was too big). Modine 3 row brass replacement radiator that is in my SVO currently (I can always play the old swaparoo here) The old leaky 3 row brass radiator that has been in this car from the 1990's. Mark VIII and Contour fans.

To get the car going I wanted to retain the factory fan and shroud but at this point I might also entertain the idea of switching over to an electric fan. Can the Contour fan be notched? It seems too thin already.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in Advance.

[ 2016-08-23, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: fastsvo ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had to cut a massive amount out of the drivers side fan shroud for the factory fan shroud with my setup (12-rib ATI procharger pulley's, fluidyne 3" thick aluminum radiator).

It's even part of the installation instructions from procharger.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
fastsvo
Member # 14381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastsvo  Ford pictures for fastsvo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you feel the reduced area from the cut out has led to (any) cooling issues?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fastsvo:
Do you feel the reduced area from the cut out has led to (any) cooling issues?

nope, I dont think it makes any difference at all

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com