Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Want to build 331stroker w/350hp & smog legal. Advice?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Want to build 331stroker w/350hp & smog legal. Advice?
7-Up Man
¯
Member # 8345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7-Up Man  Ford pictures for 7-Up Man    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 331 stroker block and want to build up a motor that is naturally aspirated and 350hp. Taking all recommendations.

Thank you in ad advance,

Bill

--------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green

Posts: 93 | From: Walnut Creek | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
Sinister Mustang
¯
Member # 13889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sinister Mustang  Ford pictures for Sinister Mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's easier to do than you think. Obviously you'll need to go with a carb legal intake, headers, keep all 4 cats and keep the duration on the cam low. But it's do-able.

Thanks

--------------------
Message me for 1979-2015 Mustang Parts!

www.SinisterMustang.com

Posts: 255 | From: Roseville,CA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  :
kuku93
¯
Member # 14014

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kuku93  Ford pictures for kuku93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go to summit racing. Ask the tech for info. All you need is the right heads and intake plus headers that are all carb legal with the right compression. Pistons and crank and all that you can choose whatever. As long as you keep near the right compression and a carb legal cam like the common e303 cam. And essentially all the emission crap.
7-Up Man
¯
Member # 8345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7-Up Man  Ford pictures for 7-Up Man    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thank you for the advice. Anyone have any favorites with heads intake options?

--------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 7-Up Man:
Thank you for the advice. Anyone have any favorites with heads intake options?

AFR or Trickflow both make good smog legal aluminum heads. But with Trickflow TW heads you will need pistons specific for those heads. However Trickflow has been proven to flow a little better than AFR. Both are great though. I am running AFR 185cc heads on my blown 331 stroker setup, and the car pulls hard through redline.

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
7-Up Man
¯
Member # 8345

Thank you all for your replies. Any advice on a cam. Is the E303 good, I heard some have put in the F303 but got a sticker for the E303 and the smog machines made little notice of it.

Would custom be better, or is this off the table for smog purposes.

thank you,

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with a custom you can get more out of it than a letter cam. i think ed curtis is a popular choice still for custom cam and top end setup talk with him and he can get the components to match the best.

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't go letter cam on a stroker build it'll rob you of power especially the shitty e303. Just say it has a e303 in it if the smog tech asks. Go custom.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
7-Up Man
¯
Member # 8345

Thank you 70stang351w for the suggestion and name to contact. I will add this to my list of things to do on this build.
93mustang50
¯
Member # 6642

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustang50  Ford pictures for 93mustang50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
350 hp N/A is definitely possible but there are cali legal superchagers that would make 350 hp with ease.

--------------------
93GT 306 H/C/I supercharged
06 Cummins 6spd
90 GT 5sdp daily driver HCI
16 Hellcat Charger
91GT aod(sold)
88GT5spd(totaled)

3cRider
¯
Member # 10052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3cRider  Ford pictures for 3cRider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
CHP makes a 347 shortblock that has an EO. Search "Smog Legal Killer" for a smog legal build MMFF magazine did that, although I'm bias, is pretty cool.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com