Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » A/C Repair Advice

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: A/C Repair Advice
macuser27
¯
Member # 14389

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for macuser27  Ford pictures for macuser27    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello all, was hoping to get advice on fixing the A/C system in my car. It has never worked since I bought it 2-3 years ago.

Car is a 1999 Mustang GT. I took it into a shop once a year ago and the person there said there is an electrical problem with it. He charged me $150 for two hours of his time. He couldn't specify what part of the electrical system is causing the issue. So I decided to learn and fix it myself.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I narrowed it down to the CCRM. Replaced it, jumped the low pressure switch and the compressor kicked in, but the system blows hot. I then used one of those auto parts store can of refrigerant, filled and the A/C blows cold for one day.

The next day, I noticed a weird noise coming from under the engine bay after a short drive. Popped the hood, and saw the liquid line (with the orifice tube in it) from the condenser to the evaporator disconnected and green oil all over the engine bay. I assume it was under pressure and blew the line off the quick release connector.

I cleaned up the mess, replaced that liquid line with a new one (new orifice tube) and new accumulator/drier and got myself A/C manifold gauges and a vacuum pump. Pulled vacuum for an hour, but it didn't hold. In fact, it lost vacuum within a minute. I heard a faint hissing noise from the condenser area and ordered one.

So, my plan is to install that condenser, pull a vacuum and verify if there is still a leak in the system.

Am I on the right track? The compressor is not noisy and the A/C system blew cold when it worked that one day, so I don't see a need to replace it (yet).

Thanks for reading and looking forward to any help or advise.

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
By the time you buy the proper gear to fix what you need to fix you are better off to take it to an expert.

You will need a manifold gauge set the vacuum pump nitrogen tank dye injector uv light

Most def will need a new dryer since it's been open and sucking all that humidity.

Then when you figure out where the leak is at and fix it you will need a scale and sufficient freon to properly fill. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the amount of oil still left.

Like I said if you are comming in here with questions like this and have in the past used those can chargers. Which are poo and do more damage than good with leak stop etc. then you shouldn't be doing this kind of work. Not only is it illegal to do without proper hvac license and without the proper equipment you do more harm than good.

Having said that I've done it plenty of times but mostly on all new installs. If you are willing to do it correctly I can give you best step by step but you will need some equipment.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
macuser27
¯
Member # 14389

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for macuser27  Ford pictures for macuser27    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for your reply.

I've already spent $$$ on A/C manifold gauges, vacuum pump, UV dye, UV light, and new dryer. So, I'm all in on fixing this myself and hoping to come out of it a smarter person.

I did add 3oz. of PAG 46 into the dryer when I installed it. I read that the complete system should hold 7oz. (3oz in the compressor, 3 in the dryer and 1 in the condenser).

I don't mind buying another dryer once I sort out this leak.

I already learnt my lesson about using those cans and am ready to move forward.

I have a new condenser coming in. So my plan is to install this, pull a vacuum and see if it is still leaking. If there is still a leak, I'm planning to then replace the low pressure hose assembly and/or the suction/discharge hose assembly. Rinse and repeat.

After replacing all those, the only items left in the system that came with the car are the compressor and evaporator.

Any insights? I came here to learn and appreciate any guidance you can give, other than taking it to a pro - I already went that route and failed.

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fair enough man. Well the sort of hack way is getting a can of r134a with dye and tap it in. Run it for a while check for the leaks.

Offsets having to throw nitrogen in the mix. If you plan on replacing the dryer anyways. I have in the past used compressed air in a pinch. However the dye doesn't always circulate how you want it too.

Hopefully no issues with the coils inside the dash unit.

If you have all the stuff well then go at it man. Find some you tube videos if you need a visual aid.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

macuser27
¯
Member # 14389

Sounds good. I already ran the UV dye in the system and found a leak in that liquid line with the orifice in it - so I replaced that line and the dryer.

After replacing those two parts and pulling a vacuum, it was still leaking and heard a slight hiss coming from the condenser. That's why I decided to order one and try.

I really hope it's not the evaporator. Not looking forward to taking the dash out again. Already did it once a year ago, to replace the heater core. What a pain.

macuser27
¯
Member # 14389

Replacing the condenser did it! Ice cold A/C on a drive from San Francisco to Sacramento and back. Outside temperature was 101 degrees in Sac. Good test for the A/C system.

List of parts that needed replacing on this 18 year old car:
CCRM
Condenser
Liquid line with orifice tube
Accumulator/drier

Not sure how long the A/C was broken when the previous owner had it. I've owned it for about 2 years and it never worked. Refreshed the PAG 46 oil, compressor not making loud noises and hoping the A/C will keep on keepin' on.

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Good stuff just as long as it had no leaks and you put in the correct amount weight wise of freon should work for a long time.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com