Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Motor tilted?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Motor tilted?
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put in my new motor, 1997 2V GT, and it's sitting on a QA1 K member. As it sits, it seems to be crooked, as in sitting a few degrees clockwise (if you were looking at it from the top)

The motor mount studs are in the correct holes. Could the K member centered? It appeared to be lined up evenly on both sides...anyone here experience this? The pic is hard to tell, but looking at the alternator it's not facing straight with the front. Even tipping the engine back (bc no trans) it stills seems off.

-

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had this problem with shitty Anchor brand engine mounts, albeit it was with my fox.

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put on new mounts. Still canted closure. The transmission tail is close to the driver side rail. So I need to shift the engine, trans counter clockwise to straighten it out. I may have loosen the K member and see if I can get it even. I have to check my wheels to make sure they aren't unven from each other.

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could try oblonging the mounting slots on either the k member or mounts. I've had to do that a few times on some of these "custom" engine swaps.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've hadriven this problem before but I think the issue is the mounts itself. If they are cheap ones it won't sit right. On one side. I usually just shift it so it sits a close to centered and tighten the mount nuts. Sometimes you just can't do anything about it I guess

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Motor mounts on the wrong side?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

I made sure the mounts are on the correct side....

It's hard too bc I'm on my back doing this, and right now it's parked on grass and I can't get jack stands under there bc it's soft and uneven.

I'll play with it I guess later on. But thanks for the replies.

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

I should have went with fuckin Maximum Motorsports. For everything. Every other brand seems to a problem. Fuck.

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CAMD FOX:
I had this problem with shitty Anchor brand engine mounts, albeit it was with my fox.

I have to agree, I bought some convertible mounts for my coupe and the engine doing the same situation/problem as this guys. However little man muscles will do and cursing in Russian will do the job right.
Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

-

Is that the right a lot? Or should I move it to the middle?

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Actually in that first slot to the right as pictured above, it's seems to be sitting pretty straight. The driver side only has on slot and that one is in. Looks good now.

We'll see how it all bolts up when the trans and shaft are in place.

Also, I have a new rear end bolted up, where would be the ideal way to bolt the drive shaft to? Does it matter? I know when you remove your driveshaft you mark up which holes it were used to bolt the shaft to the pinion flange...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The threaded bolt really should be in the middle slot with the locating pin in the round hole. The middle hole also provides more support under the nut.

If you replaced the K member, it might be best to first verify it is installed square to the chassis.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Damn. So that slot won't work?
Once I get the car more assembled, I may just tow it down to my local shop here and have them "square" it or go through it.

When you "square" the K member to the frame, how is that done?

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Autumnstang97:
Damn. So that slot won't work?
Once I get the car more assembled, I may just tow it down to my local shop here and have them "square" it or go through it.

When you "square" the K member to the frame, how is that done?

You're supposed to use little weights on string it's hard to explain on here. I didn't use that method though I just measured every way I could to make sure everything was the same all around.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MM K-Member Installation Instructions

Start on page 7

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com