Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog Question
P1mp1n
¯
Member # 1961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for P1mp1n  Ford pictures for P1mp1n    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I took my 1990 Mustang to get it smogged yesterday and it failed the visual on catalytic converters. It has the 4 cats on the h-pipe but yes the rear two that the smog guy said to replace are non OEM. I did not see them look under the car, after raising the car the two rear cats are stamped CA-##### etc. The previous owner had smog papers from last April and it wasn't driven since? I did fail on HC area, passed other areas.

Meas at 15mph was 107, max is 85
Meas at 25mph was 77, max 67

I haven't tuned it up, last oil change was years ago (I know should have done this prior!)

So my question is I'm guessing by a good tune up I may pass since its barely off. What's the deal with the replacement cats, do replacement cats have a carb# or is the stamp I have on them okay and maybe they assumed they weren't legal?

Just want to make sure before I dump money on new cats. Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 887 | From: Burlingame | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
P1mp1n
¯
Member # 1961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for P1mp1n  Ford pictures for P1mp1n    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.underhoodservice.com/catalytic-converters-replacement-is-changing/

After doing a little research it looks like there California approved. I'm going to go to the shop tomorrow with a picture and see what they say.

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You gotta watch out with these smog "techs." One tried pulling a fast one on my uncle. His car has the stock cats and passed visual the first time but failed his o2 test. Then when he went back a few days later to the same place the guy failed his visual due to tampered cats but passed the rest of the testing. Dude said he had a buddy who owns a shop that could change out his cats for the "right" ones. Long story short dude tried getting his friend business and himself by pulling some fraudulent shit. I kinda wanna report his ass to the BBB, maybe I should for trying to jew my uncle out of a few hundred dollars because I'm sure he does it to a lot of people. One tried doing it to me but I told him I was a mechanic so I know what I have then he went back under acting stupid and was like "oh yeah sorry my mistake."

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18526 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
P1mp1n
¯
Member # 1961

Yeah, some smog guys you do half to watch out for. My dad gave me his 1976 Chevy C10, When I took it to the smog guy he failed it because he said it did not have catalytic converters. My dad was the original owner and never had a problem with smog, turns out these trucks never came with catalytic converters. Smog guy just didn't have the proper knowledge or take the time to research before failing me. I went back and the same guy passed it.

So an update on the Mustang, I called the smog shop and explained that the cats were legal and he said that it was fine to just give it a tune up and bring it back. Now I just have to lower the HC a little, going to do a tune up and see what happens Monday.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com