Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Starting issues

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Starting issues
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For a while i could only start my car by jumping the solenoid, I have since put a fuse in the black plug on the clutch position switch or nss what have you. When I roll the key forward to the on position the fuel pump primes but the motor starts to immediately try to run and even starting with the starter still engaged. With the pick up wire off of the solenoid it doesn't do that, but clicking over to the run position I get nothing! But if I stay in ON and then tap the pick up on its stud the motor fires up and once I unplug the pick up motor stays on and starter disengages like regular start up. Where could my problem be? New ignition switch on the column and the solenoid isn't very old either.

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure the battery is fully charged. Odd things can happen when it's not. I hate electrical issues, good luck!
saleen428
¯
Member # 7535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleen428  Ford pictures for saleen428    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Assuming you tested the solenoid to be good (no internal short)? Then you should look to the ignition switch wiring to the starter solenoid. There are couple ways to start but I would test at the solenoid end. Test the wire connected to the switched power pole on the solenoid and verify if you are getting voltage when the ignition is in the run position (not start position). Do this when the wire is disconnected from the solenoid so the car does not try to start. If you are getting voltage in that state, then that is the problem.

--------------------
Fords for Life

JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the switch on the coloum i have had two fall apart and also check that the rod has not bent that connects the key to the switch

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com