Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 02 GT alignment specs after springs

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 02 GT alignment specs after springs
Ray94GT
¯
Member # 13285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray94GT  Ford pictures for Ray94GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey there cafords. Wondering if you guys can let me know if my alignment specs is good? My RF caster looks funky. My car is lowered on sportline and Koni STRT and SR caster camber plates. It rides good and doesn't pull but from standing on the side looking at the wheels. The wheels doesn't look centered on the right side.

LF: RF:
Camber : -0.7 0.7
Caster: +3.6. +4.1
Toe: +0.10. +0.10
Total toe: 0.20

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks perfect, most alignment shops dial in 0.5 degree caster difference to counteract the 'crown' on roads for drainage so it doesn't pull to the right while driving straight.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Ray94GT
¯
Member # 13285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray94GT  Ford pictures for Ray94GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I searched that stock OEM caster is at 3.2 and that's centered. So wouldn't 3.6 and 4.1 moves the wheel back towards the fender more?
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Ray94GT:
I searched that stock OEM caster is at 3.2 and that's centered. So wouldn't 3.6 and 4.1 moves the wheel back towards the fender more?

Postive caster moves the wheel forward on the ball joint. Negative caster move the wheel on the ball joint back towards the door. And most front rims are not centered with the wheel well.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Ray94GT
¯
Member # 13285

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:

Postive caster moves the wheel forward on the ball joint. Negative caster move the wheel on the ball joint back towards the door. And most front rims are not centered with the wheel well.
Thanks for clarifying that. I will need to take it back to the alignment shop to add more positive caster. My front wheels are towards the door and the alignment guy said its my tires. Idiot.... I want it close to stock as possible.
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:

Thanks for clarifying that. I will need to take it back to the alignment shop to add more positive caster. My front wheels are towards the door and the alignment guy said its my tires. Idiot.... I want it close to stock as possible.
Changing the springs wouldn't move the tire back in the wheel well. It's a optic illusion that the wheel is no longer center in the wheel well.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Ray94GT
¯
Member # 13285

Maybe I'm tripping. Lol! So correct me if I'm wrong. So pushing the caster plates back towards the firewall will get you positive caster and pushing it forwards the front of the car will give you negative caster?
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Maybe I'm tripping. Lol! So correct me if I'm wrong. So pushing the caster plates back towards the firewall will get you positive caster and pushing it forwards the front of the car will give you negative caster?

Yes your correct. And the ball joint it the pivot point for witch way it tilts . You would have to move the control arm forward or back to center the wheel.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and the more positive caster you can get, THE BETTER.

it helps the car turn in sharper and the front tires hold more grip mid-corner.

I run about 6* caster up front on both my mustangs. And 7* on my f150.

it doesn't move the tires in the fender at all, it just leans the strut backwards.

[ 2015-11-10, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run as much caster I can pull.. right now it's roughly around 5 degrees pos caster with the MM plates.

Alignment specs will vary based off what the car is used for. I run -2.5 camber and .30 toe out.. but my car is used for autocross.

What are your plans with the car?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Ray94GT
¯
Member # 13285

quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:
I run as much caster I can pull.. right now it's roughly around 5 degrees pos caster with the MM plates.

Alignment specs will vary based off what the car is used for. I run -2.5 camber and .30 toe out.. but my car is used for autocross.

What are your plans with the car?

The car is used only for daily driving. i dont race or autoX. i went back to the alignment shop and got them to set it at at almost factory specs. 3.4 and 3.7.. which is fine with me. becasuse at 4.1* my wheels looks like its near the door. Thank for the helps guys. wish i can post pics of my ride but dont know how. lol

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com