Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car smoking from intake manifold after 2years of storage. Help needed

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car smoking from intake manifold after 2years of storage. Help needed
alexv
¯
Member # 13018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexv  Ford pictures for alexv    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I might need a bit of help with restarting my 96 cobra that has been sitting for 2 years:
I changed the oil/oil filter yesterday (6quarts of royal purple full synthetic 5w30) and checked for signs of corrosion on the grounds/wires and that was all good, the (disconnected) battery was also fine, strangely enough (12.9V, ???) so I was able to restart it and it was idling fine until about 5mins where it started to smoke from around the intake manifold.
I stopped the car, and it kept on smoking for 5mins or so. The smoke was clear and didn't smell like much.

-I had a low oil warning after trying to turn if back on a little while after that (which is weird cause I put 6quarts, will wait until tomorrow morning to make sure the oil level is alright, but it should be). No oil patches on the ground...
-I had code P0125 after trying to run it yesterday, cleared the code, and it hasn't come back.
Also, there were chunks of carbon deposits coming out of the exhaust.

That's all I know right now, and I am not sure where to go from there other than taking it to a shop. If there is a local mechanic in the Marin area, shoot me a PM.

Posts: 119 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  :
*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Replace Gas.
Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
alexv
¯
Member # 13018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexv  Ford pictures for alexv    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You think so? I mean the car does idle fine and sounds pretty good. Would bad gas be causing this you think?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
change the fluids and drive the car, it's normal for stuff to smoke. I recently purchased a foxbody that had sat for about 7 years. It runs like brand new today and have been driving it a lot in the past year (3 autox days, a couple of 700mile weekend trips, etc)

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
alexv
¯
Member # 13018

Yeah, so a quick update on this. I ended up taking it to a shop as I needed it to get to work and had no more time to mess around with it: they said it was actually leaking from the head gasket but that after a few heat cycles the gasket should expand and no longer leak, which was correct.
It runs fine now and no longer smoke, I just hope it doesn't mean the head gasket is on its way out...

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com