Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Mustang Failed Brake & Lamp Inspection . Need help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Mustang Failed Brake & Lamp Inspection . Need help
MustangCCH
¯
Member # 12345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangCCH  Ford pictures for MustangCCH  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car failed brake and lamp inspection. The e-brake works but the light that says brake on the speedometer doesn't light up. I pulled it out and checked and replaced all the bulbs. And still nothing. So I took off the center console around the e-brake and it's supposed to be a switch but there's nothing. No wiring at all either. Need help to get the light working. Brake and lamp inspection is last I need. Thanks in advance.
Or if anyone knows the hookup for brake & lamp. Let me know

[ 2015-08-17, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: MustangCCH ]

--------------------
89 Vert sold
92 Notch sold
91 Notch sold
90 Hatch sold
89 Vert sold
85 Notch sold
91 Hatch sold
89 Hatch sold
86 Vert in the works

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a micro-switch that's mounted on the e-brake. Do you have any wires goin through the center console at all??

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
MustangCCH
¯
Member # 12345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangCCH  Ford pictures for MustangCCH  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is no switch and no wires at all. When I pull the carpet what should I be looking for? (What color wires or plug)

--------------------
89 Vert sold
92 Notch sold
91 Notch sold
90 Hatch sold
89 Vert sold
85 Notch sold
91 Hatch sold
89 Hatch sold
86 Vert in the works

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hope this helps... My car is a 91GT, so yours may be different and the color codes may be different.

Check ebay and see if you can find this manual, if you plan on keeping the car this would be a good addition to your library.

-

-

The parking switch is located in the bottom-middle of the page.

Here is the wire harness in my car. I believe it goes under the seat and meets up with the fuel pump relay. I could be wrong, I did not look to where it leads to. In the pic you can see the plugs for the cig lighter and the mirror power mirror controls. The wire in my harness match the wire manual: Black and Light Blue.

-

-

[ 2015-08-21, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: RAP66 ]

--------------------

www.fordstrokers.com

MustangCCH
¯
Member # 12345

^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks a million. Ima look into it tomorrow morning. I've been looking around for the switch. AutoZone, O'Reilly, Napa, nobody sells them. Any car has same interchangeable one? Ima hit up pick n pull tomorrow

--------------------
89 Vert sold
92 Notch sold
91 Notch sold
90 Hatch sold
89 Vert sold
85 Notch sold
91 Hatch sold
89 Hatch sold
86 Vert in the works

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

quote:
Originally posted by MustangCCH:
^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks a million. Ima look into it tomorrow morning. I've been looking around for the switch. AutoZone, O'Reilly, Napa, nobody sells them. Any car has same interchangeable one? Ima hit up pick n pull tomorrow

I cant speak from any experience with the newer chassis. I will say that there are similarities. Check the wrecking yard - cars of a similar year might just work for your needs. The hand brakes up to 2004 are generically similar, so the switch might work out for you.

If you are creative you might be able to pick up a micro switch from an electronics store and get that to work as well. Radio-crap MIGHT even have a switch. Look for a NC microswitch. NC = Normal Closed. This means that in it's normal state the switch is closed (making contact) and will complete the circuit. If you go this route you will need to figure a way to make the switch work when installed on the hand brake.

-

--------------------

www.fordstrokers.com

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com