Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Any one ever build a 363 stroker!!!???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Any one ever build a 363 stroker!!!???
90coupe5oh
¯
Member # 13652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90coupe5oh  Ford pictures for 90coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm currently in the process of gettin one built off a new boss block I wanted to know if there was a better block out there or am I fine with a boss block I heard dart block are pretty good also an tips? Any info on a 363 stroker Wud also be appreciated
gypsy88
¯
Member # 13891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gypsy88  Ford pictures for gypsy88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard it's good to have the 4bolt mains all the way across.....
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Depends on your power goals. If your going over 800 go dart and sell me the boss block [Big Grin]

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's been a few years since I looked at this so things might have changed. Compare the inside lengths of the cylinder walls. The Ford block had shorter walls than the Dart block making longer strokes a bit more risky. The piston will come out of the bottom end of the hole too much. This was a few years ago and the dimensions might have changed.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There has been much debate on a 3.4 stroke in the boss block. Many builders do not like the length of cylinders on the boss block. One builder is Roush. They will not build a 3.4" stroke boss block motor.

There are lots of them that have been built and run great.

A nice option for that block is 3.25 stroke with the big bore for 347"

[ 2015-04-10, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: 4IDFOX ]

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
90coupe5oh
¯
Member # 13652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90coupe5oh  Ford pictures for 90coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for to info I'm still up in the air about the boss or dart might have to talk to the shop an see if I can switch it hopely
90coupe5oh
¯
Member # 13652

An all I'm tryna achieve is 500+ hp all motor an possibly a turbo or supercharger later on is a boss block for for a 363 stoker wit what I have in mind?
ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I picked up a 69 351w block for $400(69-74 blocks can hold up to 750hp+/-) and turning it into a 408 for about $2k parts and machine work. Going to be 10:7 compression on tw 205 heads aiming for or close to 500rwhp on efi setup not carburated. If I were add nitrous ill be at 600-650rwhp... so if all you want is 500-600 no need to spend the extra 2k on a bare boss or dart block you can use the extra cash for the rest of your build or a nice nitrous kit with all safety add ons...but than again if you wanna go all out than go ahead and get aftermarket block. From my research If you plan to rev to 6500 + rpm than a aftermarket block is highly recommended but me personally 6k shifts are fine .

Also if your going to buy a stroker kit separately why settle for a 363 when you can have a 408 for the same price? Itll be easier to achieve those 500 horses with more cubes.

[ 2015-04-10, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: ed650 ]

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ed650:
I picked up a 69 351w block for $400(69-74 blocks can hold up to 750hp+/-) and turning it into a 408 for about $2k parts and machine work. Going to be 10:7 compression on tw 205 heads aiming for or close to 500rwhp on efi setup not carburated. If I were add nitrous ill be at 600-650rwhp... so if all you want is 500-600 no need to spend the extra 2k on a bare boss or dart block you can use the extra cash for the rest of your build or a nice nitrous kit with all safety add ons...but than again if you wanna go all out than go ahead and get aftermarket block. From my research If you plan to rev to 6500 + rpm than a aftermarket block is highly recommended but me personally 6k shifts are fine .

Also if your going to buy a stroker kit separately why settle for a 363 when you can have a 408 for the same price? Itll be easier to achieve those 500 horses with more cubes.

^planning on doing same but carbed

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

90coupe5oh
¯
Member # 13652

Thanks I appreciate all the info an yea I'm not tryna build a track car jus some thing for the streets but occasionally hit up the track once ina while but the car wud prolly only be driven on the weekends or some I jus heard der block would be better if I'm lookin for 600-700+ hp I'm fine bein around 500hp all motor
90coupe5oh
¯
Member # 13652

Wouldn't I have clearance issues wit a 408 stroker build?
ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90coupe5oh:

Clearance issues as if it wont slide right into your engine bay? A 408 kit wont cause that because those parts make your engine bigger internally not externally so your block will still be the same size as if you were to get a 363.

Now clearance issues inside the block? Maybe, but I think you should be fine if you get a complete 408 kit versus piecing your own pistons rods and crank.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Clearance issues as if it wont slide right into your engine bay? A 408 kit wont cause that because those parts make your engine bigger internally not externally so your block will still be the same size as if you were to get a 363.

Now clearance issues inside the block? Maybe, but I think you should be fine if you get a complete 408 kit versus piecing your own pistons rods and crank.

I'm thinking he means internally. I know on 302's you have to clearance the block for a 331/347 because of the larger throw of the crack but on a 363 idk if it's the same since it uses a 351 block

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:
quote:
quote:

I'm thinking he means internally. I know on 302's you have to clearance the block for a 331/347 because of the larger throw of the crack but on a 363 idk if it's the same since it uses a 351 block
A 363 uses an 8.2 inch deck hight block. Same as a 302. A 408 uses a 9.5" deck hight block (351). The 363 uses a 4.125" bore, that's where the extra inches come from over a 347.

So depending on the car the hood and the intake the 408 could creat some clearance issues.

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[/QUOTE]A 363 uses an 8.2 inch deck hight block. Same as a 302. A 408 uses a 9.5" deck hight block (351). The 363 uses a 4.125" bore, that's where the extra inches come from over a 347.

So depending on the car the hood and the intake the 408 could creat some clearance issues. [/QB][/QUOTE]

**never mind was thinking the 9.2 block**
^ Never thought about it that way; makes more sense clearance wise. 408w from what ive been reading will almost always have a cowl or modified mounts or adjustable mounts which will also drop your exhaust/oil pan closer to the ground(EFI and CARBd do to intake heights). im putting a boss9 scoop on mine so the airgap will fit under my hood the performer i have barley fits as is.

[ 2015-04-14, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: 70stang351w ]

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

363 are on 8.2 decks aka 302 blocks, 408's are on 9.5 deck aka 351.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
ed650
¯
Member # 9897

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:
quote:

363 are on 8.2 decks aka 302 blocks, 408's are on 9.5 deck aka 351.
All this time I thought that to build a 363 you need a 351 block and the max on a 302 is 347. Id still do a 408 over a 363.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

90coupe5oh
¯
Member # 13652

Will I be alright wit a 363 stoker on a boss block or go a different route?
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Will I be alright wit a 363 stoker on a boss block or go a different route?

It all depends on your power goals. If I remember correctly boss blocks are just 4-bolt mains on the middle three and the outer two are just two bolt so they'll be less sturdier than a dart block.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

The issue builders have with the boss block and a 3.4" stroke is how far the piston comes out of the cylinder at the bottom of stroke. This allows the piston to rock. Piston to wall clearance is a factor when this is the case.

If you are stuck with the boss block you could go to a 3.25 stroke. If you still have to buy a block and really want 363" then a dart would be a better choice.

There are lots of 3.4 stroke boss blocks on the road. The intended use and hp. goal are a big factor. The piston material will dictate piston to cylinder clearance witch will affect the pistons ability to rock in the bore. There are lots of variables.

How long you want it to last and the piece of mind are a decision you are going to have to make.

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
The issue builders have with the boss block and a 3.4" stroke is how far the piston comes out of the cylinder at the bottom of stroke. This allows the piston to rock. Piston to wall clearance is a factor when this is the case.

Interesting. Good to know! [patriot]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

90coupe5oh
¯
Member # 13652

I got a boss big bore block part number M-6010-B302BB it's not the cheaper boss block I was told its a newer version of it
90coupe5oh
¯
Member # 13652

I'm lookin aroun 500+ hp an 450+tq an maybe add a supercharger/turbo later on down the road

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com