Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » crank no start unless... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: crank no start unless...
tribesmen
¯
Member # 11900

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribesmen  Ford pictures for tribesmen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I'm having a problem with my 88 gt HCI upgrades 24# injectors tuned with a tweecer. The problem I'm having is after the car warms up, if I turn it off, there's no starting it back up unless I let it cool down or I take out the spout connector.I have checked all the basics And all seem to be fine. Even swapped out dizzy with my other car. New ignition module and pick up, still nothing. New dizzy, still nothing. Any ideas???
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unplug the tweecer
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
coil maybe.. is it msd?

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

carajo-1
¯
Member # 13991

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for carajo-1  Ford pictures for carajo-1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
Unplug the tweecer

Yeap,
No need for a tweeter,on a hci fox.

--------------------
2006 magnum srt8

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Seems like your tune is not right. Timing/afr.
tribesmen
¯
Member # 11900

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribesmen  Ford pictures for tribesmen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Even when unplug the tweecer same thing. I use the tweecer to correct the MAF readings since the MAF sensor I have is only calibrated for 19# injectors
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check power at the coil when hot. Correct voltage? Bad coil. No voltage? Check your ignition switch.

Is it a MAF-converted car? If so, check your grounds.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TFI module on side of distributor going bad. Need grease in between module if not bad so it don't heat up.
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lsx swap

--------------------
91' Notch

tribesmen
¯
Member # 11900

All of the suggested parts have been replaced. All motorcraft parts. Still nada.
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check for spark when it won't start with an extra spark plug wire and plug. If you got spark, pull one of the plugs and see if wet with fuel. Also, do you smell raw fuel when cranking when it won't start?
tribesmen
¯
Member # 11900

The car will start right up if I remove the spout connector. No fuel smell. I Venetian tried a brand new dizzy. I'm stumped.
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

If it starts with the spout removed then you must have a timing issue. Try to redo your initial timing settings back to stock with the spout removed, plug it back in and see if that solves it. If not maybe you need a new ecu.
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where did you get the ign control module at? Did you have them test it when you bought it? Autozone is notorious for this issue. Have them run the test 6-7 times so the module can heat up like it does in the car when it craps out on you. Pay the price for the quality part (msd) and you wont be disappointed. Good luck! --Rick
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When and if you take the control module in to get tested, bring the coil for them to test also.
jo_arce02
¯
Member # 11777

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jo_arce02  Ford pictures for jo_arce02    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
after months of not doing nothing to the car. I finally decided to start driving it again. Issue is still there. even with all new parts. Dizzy, Module, PIP, plugs, wires... i have taken out the dizzy and double checked to make sure its not a tooth off from where it needs to be, checked out fine. any ideas?
thanks

86- 50
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 4723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86- 50  Ford pictures for 86- 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try the computer

--------------------
My baby:88gt 347 stroker

RIP MATT, Gone but never forgotten

TEAM PLATINUM

jo_arce02
¯
Member # 11777

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jo_arce02  Ford pictures for jo_arce02    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 86- 50:
Try the computer

tried two from NAPA and nothing changed. still the same thing. if the temp is below half way then it will start no problem.
this is driving me nuts!!!

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rolling off a couple of thoughts...

Have you tried to get a mass air flow unit calibrated for 24# injectors and lose the tweecer?

I didn't see that you tried changing the ACT (Air Charge Temp sensor)? Sends engine temperature to the computer..or check the connections to it.

Will keep thinking....

jo_arce02
¯
Member # 11777

quote:
Originally posted by Marks93:
Rolling off a couple of thoughts...

Have you tried to get a mass air flow unit calibrated for 24# injectors and lose the tweecer?

I didn't see that you tried changing the ACT (Air Charge Temp sensor)? Sends engine temperature to the computer..or check the connections to it.

Will keep thinking....

i had the car running with a MAF and injectors i borrowed from my 66 efi setup. same issue. ACT will be replaced this weekend, thanks for suggestion. ill report back after i make some minor changes that will include replacing the intake with a trick flow, and also installing electric fans (nothing related to the issue im having, these items are just in the list of things to do).

thanks

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One other thing I thought about after my last reply (of course) is have you checked if any codes are showing? Perhaps that could tell you something.
jo_arce02
¯
Member # 11777

quote:
Originally posted by Marks93:
One other thing I thought about after my last reply (of course) is have you checked if any codes are showing? Perhaps that could tell you something.

the only code is 33 for EGR not closing or something like that. don't see how that would be related. i found a vacuum hose that doesnt look good. i'll replace that today. just went to the car to check on a power source for the ignition feed to the fan controller i'm gonna be installing and took a look at the ignition coil (thought i'd use the feed to that, but decided to use the coolant level sensor instead) looked at the connector and found one of the terminals appeared to be slightly out of the connector so i pushed it back in and it moved enough that it felt like there may not have been a good connection on that terminal of the ignition coil. hopefully that did it. will report back after my drive home. thanks again.
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is your timing set at right now?

Is your balancer new? re set timing when at top dead center on #1 to 10 or 12 degrees. if pulling the spout fixes it then there is a problem with your timing bro. make sure that balancer is not slipping.

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

jo_arce02
¯
Member # 11777

quote:
Originally posted by NK2186:
what is your timing set at right now?

Is your balancer new? re set timing when at top dead center on #1 to 10 or 12 degrees. if pulling the spout fixes it then there is a problem with your timing bro. make sure that balancer is not slipping.

Balancer was replaced no more than a year ago. Timing is set to 10* if what you're saying is true, should I retard or advance the timing? Thanks for the help.
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a similar issue with my cobra when i bought it.. have you checked to see if you are getting spark at the coil & at the cylinders when you crank it and it doesnt start? And can you smell raw unburnt gas from the exhaust?

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com