Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » catalytic converters replacement question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: catalytic converters replacement question
primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for primeredbeast89dropgt  Ford pictures for primeredbeast89dropgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay guys I have 89 5.0 gt and I was thinking of replacing all 4 of my converters. Just curious how much would it cost me to do so or just a rough estimate would help?

Any info would help, thanks CA

--------------------
89 vert gt

Posts: 208 | From: san francisco to antioch | Registered: Jun 2010  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not 100% on this but in CA you can not use aftermarket CATS. I think you have to use OE ones. In my state you can use any cats that pass an ASM 25-25 emission spin test. Or an OBD2 scan for set monitors.

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
Not 100% on this but in CA you can not use aftermarket CATS. I think you have to use OE ones. In my state you can use any cats that pass an ASM 25-25 emission spin test. Or an OBD2 scan for set monitors.

If they have carb eo# on them then a aftermarket catalytic converter can be used.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for primeredbeast89dropgt  Ford pictures for primeredbeast89dropgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah thanks guys, I'm looking for stock or equivalent cats too put replace my old ones with. I know I'll most likely have to take my mid pipe to a muffler shop to do it. Just curious to see if anyone had an idea of the cost.

--------------------
89 vert gt

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's about $200 each cat so get ready to bend over for that. You would be better off getting a good used h-pipe

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Well that's just my issue I've been trying to get a good used hpipe I haven't had any luck an my pony been sitting for about 2 years just get tired of the run around. 200 is pretty steep but at this point I figured it be worth it no more smog headaches.

Thanks for the info bro

--------------------
89 vert gt

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here we go but they are expensive

We here at Californialegalconverters.com want you to be an informed customer. Whether you buy your products with us or any other retailer, you need to be aware of the laws which you, your parts manufacturer, your vehicle manufacturer, and your installer must all abide. This page is to help clarify for you what you need to know before you buy your new California catalytic converter. For example, we often find potential customers looking for replacement catalytic converters when they were not aware that they were still covered by their OEM catalytic converter warranty.

IDENTIFYING A NEW CALIFORNIA LEGAL AFTERMARKET CATALYTIC CONVERTERS - As of January 1st, 2009, what you need to look for to ensure you are selling, buying or installing California LEGAL catalytic converters is the following:

The body should be clearly labeled with the following:

· California ARB - EO number: (for example: D-193-88)

· Part number: (for example: 34015)

· Date code: (for example: 0109, for January 2009)

· The text should be 1/2 inch tall

· Exhaust directional flow arrow

· All of the above must be visible from at least 5 feet away

· All of the above must be labeled such that it is permanent and indestructible (for example: laser etching)

For the sales or installation of a California Aftermarket Catalytic Converter, the following are legal requirements:

(1) The vehicle must be specifically included in the vehicle application list that is maintained by the California Air Resource Board

(2) The vehicle must be more than 7 years old or have more than 70,000 miles on its odometer

(3) The vehicle must be beyond the coverage of the OEM catalyst warranty period. This period can vary from 7 years or 70,000 miles to as high as 15 years or 150,000 miles. Installers may reference the vehicle owner’s manual or warranty booklet, or they may contact the vehicle manufacturer or dealership to verify the applicable OEM California catalytic converter warranty

(4) The vehicle must have a legitimate need for replacement of the existing catalytic converter. If an installer is making your repair, this must be documented on the repair ticket. Also if the OEM catalytic converter is present, the installer must make a determination that it is not functioning properly before replacing it

(5) The aftermarket California catalytic converter must be installed in the same location as the OEM California catalytic converter it is designed to replace. The front face of the replacement California catalytic converter shall be no more than 3 inches further upstream or downstream in the exhaust from where the front face of the OEM California catalytic converter was located. The installation may not alter the location, position, or orientation of oxygen (O2) sensors upstream and downstream of the California catalytic converter

(6) The aftermarket California catalytic converter must be installed on a one-for one catalytic converter basis;

(7) The aftermarket California catalytic converter must be installed with all other required catalytic converters (meaning you cannot consolidate the catalytic converters, nor can you add additional catalytic converters)

(8) If an installer completes your repair, a warranty card must be filled out by your installer, signed by you (the customer), attached to the repair ticket, and a copy must be returned to the catalytic converter manufacturer.

(9) If an installer completes your repair, they must keep documentation regarding the installation of the new aftermarket California catalytic converters including all of the above information. This documentation shall be made available to the California ARB or its representative as provided for in title 13, section 2222(b)(8). All such records shall be maintained for 4 years from the date of sale or installation of the California catalytic converter.
Showing 0 to 0 of 0 (0 Pages)
California Legal Converters © 2014

[ 2014-08-24, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Thanks Tom for the info [patriot]

--------------------
89 vert gt

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

My Pleasure

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you need a catted hpipe my boy has one for sale. I just used it 2 days ago to pass my stang. I believe he wants $200. If ur interested i can pass info to u.

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Definitely interested, would save me a lot of money.

--------------------
89 vert gt

BRB 50
¯
Member # 10395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRB 50  Ford pictures for BRB 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/pts/4633978474.html. Not mine but might be what you looking for
Posts: 160 | From: es oakland | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com