Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fan controller stopped working? HELP! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fan controller stopped working? HELP!
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so yesterday I noticed my fan wasn't coming on. So I checked it today and put the fan to a battery and it turns on fine. So its narrowed down to either my DCC fan controller or the tyco relay. How can I tell which one is bad? I don't want to end up buying both when I only need one. Thanks!

edit: 93 using a mark fan.

[ 2014-05-12, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: 3-0-Tunes ]

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Power up the relay from the winding portion. If the fan runs you know which component is bad. make sure the relay has power and that the fuses are ok. Good luck

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just checked the relay and its good. I have a wire ran from the relay into my car for a on/off switch. From there I have it ran into my fuse box under the dash. I tried a different fuse location and now the fan turns on fine. What I don't understand is did I just fry my fuse box in a spot????

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hard to say if that section is burnt out. But if everything in the car works you are good to go.

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mark fans pull a lot of amps. Probably not something I would wire through the factory fuse box. I'd run a dedicated power feed straight from the battery with an inline fuse.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the DCC controller doesn't require a relay from what i understand. the positive is wired straight to the battery with an inline fusible link.
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

I have my battery relocated to the trunk. Should I run a wire from the relay to the switch to the battery. I really like the switch cause it turns the fan off when I turn the car off rather than letting it run until it cools down killing the battery.

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

We never set up engine fans with a switch. We use sensors and relays. You can wire fans from the stock fuse panel there is always a place to do it. Personally we never run any wires from the battery directly. No need to do that in my opinion.

--------------------

*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Run a 75amp Tyco Relay. Make sure your Alt. is upgraded to at least an 130amp. Controllers will go out without you even noticing.
Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

I have the tyco relay and also the 3g alt. I have the wire ran to the AC spot on the fusebox (which is the highest amp fuse in there). I have to make sure I'm using 10g wire

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran a switch on my fox because i did not trust the controller. I had a bad experience where my controller went bad damn near over heated the car.

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

quote:
Originally posted by Beastly GT500 TVS:
I ran a switch on my fox because i did not trust the controller. I had a bad experience where my controller went bad damn near over heated the car.

Yeah I like being in control of the fan. The Fan controller I got works perfectly but I like to be able to turn it off when I turn the car off rather than letting it run until the car cools down even when the car is off

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

If wired correctly the fan should not run with ignition off. Or it can if it is temp controlled to do that. But i never wire it that way. What i do is use 2 fans one at 1/2 speed and run it all the time. Then when the AC comes on or the motor heats up a bit the other fan kicks in and if more cooling is needed the 1/2 speed fan comes on full. basically having a switch is bad because you might forget to turn it on or someone borrowing the car might not turn it on. Sometimes we use a dual speed fan from like a taurus and run the low speed constantly and control the high speed with a controller or sender. Several choices. In my opinion a switch is not my cup of tea.

Normally if space allows we use 2 fans all the time. You never know when a fan will fail. And they are wired separately with there own relays and senders for safety.

Here is one of my first setups. We now use aluminum stock to mount the fans. Just an example bellow for a mustang

-

[ 2014-05-14, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tom you get an A for effort but you are loosing alot os surface area with that angle iron try using a ford contour dual fan with a flex a lite speed controler

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Proto type the new setup uses aluminum brackets and no restricted air flow. That setup was scrapped. Those fans can move tuns of air believe me i am not kidding.The new setup does not use any vertical braces and allows full fan airflow to the core

[ 2014-05-27, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would not wire a mark 8 from the fuse box, as you probably know they can pull 80 amps when they kick on. If you need to for temporary run it off a relay/switch I used a Stinger 80 amp relay for mine.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

I was told to run a wire directly to the battery. Mine is relocated in the trunk so would it be ok to run it to the starter solenoid?? Since this runs back to the battery should this be ok instead of running 10 ft of wire through my car to the trunk?? Thanks for all the advice.

edit: I have the tyco relay installed next to the dcc fan controller. I used an inline fuse at the fusebox and it literally burnt the 40amp fuse I had in there. I want to get this fixed asap

[ 2014-05-28, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: 3-0-Tunes ]

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Not necessary to run a cable to the trunk. Use the cable from the battery i am assuming it goes to the fender relay is perfectly OK. Personally i would not use a fan that draws that much current, 80 Amps is outrageously high for a fan to draw. The fans i use draw 20 then taper off to 10 while running. using a fan that draws that much current is counter productive. But if it does you need an appropriate circuit to handle the load.

[ 2014-05-28, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ok so let me get this straight. I have the fan ran to a dcc fan controller, to the tyco relay, into my dash where I have the switch and run the wire instead of into my fuse box, back into the engine bay and onto the starter solenoid?

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

I hooked it up according to how I just explained it in the top part. (fan to dcc fan controller, to tyco relay, to switch, to starter solenoid) Seems to be working good and also it draws less amps when it turns on being hooked up to the starter solenoid. I don't know why?? If for some reason you think theres a better way or I'm doing something wrong. And if what I did is correct please let me know, thanks again!

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Perfectly fine but i am not a toggle switch fan on guy. But perfect. You most likely have a better voltage drop and the current went down proportionately.

--------------------

Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 3-0-Tunes:
I hooked it up according to how I just explained it in the top part. (fan to dcc fan controller, to tyco relay, to switch, to starter solenoid) Seems to be working good and also it draws less amps when it turns on being hooked up to the starter solenoid. I don't know why?? If for some reason you think theres a better way or I'm doing something wrong. And if what I did is correct please let me know, thanks again!

sounds good bud.

--------------------
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Mark fan will not run 80amp current draw all the time, it is just known to spike as high as 80 on initial start. Grabbing power at the solenoid will be fine. There is a reason the Mark fan is worth running, that bitch pushes 4300 CFM at 33amps!!

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Thanks for all the advice and feedback. I cut it down to fit clearing the water pump pulley. I then put weather stripping around it to make it a tight seal against the radiator. Works great and keeps the car really cool. QUESTION- I have a 190 thermostat, when should I set the fan to come on? I was told to set it to turn on 10-15 degrees after the thermostat opens (200-205), thus letting the thermostat cool it down enough to where the fan might not even need to come on at all. Any suggestions? Thanks again for the help

[ 2014-05-29, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: 3-0-Tunes ]

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

quote:
Originally posted by 3-0-Tunes:
Thanks for all the advice and feedback. I cut it down to fit clearing the water pump pulley. I then put weather stripping around it to make it a tight seal against the radiator. Works great and keeps the car really cool. QUESTION- I have a 190 thermostat, when should I set the fan to come on? I was told to set it to turn on 10-15 degrees after the thermostat opens (200-205), thus letting the thermostat cool it down enough to where the fan might not even need to come on at all. Any suggestions? Thanks again for the help

I would say 195-200

--------------------
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com