Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » '90 GT rough idle, check engine on and off SOLVED

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: '90 GT rough idle, check engine on and off SOLVED
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 5.0 manual idles rough, revs when it feels like it and dies. Throughout this the check engine light will go on and off, sort of blinks. It runs fine then out of no where a hesitation starts and light comes on. It dies when I get to a stop. I changed out the 02's and the same thing keeps happening. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

On a side note when the key is in the on position or when the car is running there is this buzzing noise that sounds like it comes from the firewall area intermittently. Don't know if this could be related.

[ 2014-05-04, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: 90GT510 ]

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you clean the MAF? or replace fuel filter?

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the buzzing might be your IAC going bad

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wht86drop:
I think the buzzing might be your IAC going bad

Yes this is what is buzzing. I disconnected both connections from it and same symptoms continued.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by 70stang351w:
did you clean the MAF? or replace fuel filter?

no I have not

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you disconnect and then start or start then disconnect? And the IAC should only have one plug to it. The other in that area is only the EGR and TPS. The buzzing is a for sure bad. Never have I heard them do that unless if it's an incorrect unit for the car or just going bad

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Did you disconnect and then start or start then disconnect? And the IAC should only have one plug to it. The other in that area is only the EGR and TPS. The buzzing is a for sure bad. Never have I heard them do that unless if it's an incorrect unit for the car or just going bad

I started it then disconnected it while running. nothing changed.

Its the correct unit most likely just going bad.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Yup just replace the unit and disconnect the battery for like 15min before restarting the car

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Yup just replace the unit and disconnect the battery for like 15min before restarting the car

Just put a new iac waiting 15 minutes before reconnecting batt and starting lets see if this works.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

I actually unplugged the wrong thing earlier this time before I installed the new iac I unplugged the original one and the car died so I'm assuming the original one is doing it's job.

The new iac valve makes the car run worse than it was already

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

The car runs like shit with this new iac I guess I'm going to return it to get a fuel filter and some maf cleaner.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Damn that freaking sucks. Check fuel pressure too if you think it's choking from little fuel getting to it. Chances are if the filters clogged pressure would be low. That buzzing that the IAC is doing isn't normal though.. Oh and did you even check for codes?

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

It does suck oreilly fuckers won't take it back

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Is it a special Order part? Wtf??

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
It does suck oreilly fuckers won't take it back

I went across town and dude was chill as shit saying " there's evidence it's been installed" but took it anyways.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Cstang5.0
¯
Member # 4925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cstang5.0  Ford pictures for Cstang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you tried to run the codes to see what comes up??

--------------------
88 VERT slow sold
89 coupe stock ; )
02 yukon
05 focus

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Just clean maf runs smooth now! Strange thing is now engine light decides to show itself. I'll be back with the code.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for diablounicorn  Ford pictures for diablounicorn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when you did the IAC did you check the readings? i know i messed with mines a bit set it on .98v it solved it for me. then i cleaned my maf it runs smooths. but i have an auto with stock gears and tf1 cam
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by diablounicorn:
when you did the IAC did you check the readings? i know i messed with mines a bit set it on .98v it solved it for me. then i cleaned my maf it runs smooths. but i have an auto with stock gears and tf1 cam

Stock iac was good no buzzing the buzzing was coming from elsewhere. I used maf cleaner and that solved my problem.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com