Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T5 stuck in third/ rebuild

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T5 stuck in third/ rebuild
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pulled apart the transmission on my 1990 5.0 that has been stuck in third. on the front shift fork both plastic clips were broken and jammed into the gears (im guessing jammed in third). I have the transmission pulled apart now so might as well rebuild it.

Where can I find some good rebuild kits, clutches and also im planning on changing the gears to 373s so what do I need to replace???

I would like personal opinions on parts you have used in the past so I know what im getting, Thanks CAFords! [patriot]

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I rebuild tons of those. Inspect the bearings. They usually just need a few small parts. Rebuild kits have alot of shit that is never worn out

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds good I'll inspect those tomorrow. this is my first time doing this so all advice is greatly appreciated. What are those plastic clips called on the shift forks? Also I am planning on replacing synchros since it would sometimes grind into second. also it would occasionally pop out of 1st what would take care of that?

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am not a fan of the T-5, however suggesting an upgrade would be pointless if your specific application does not warrent a beefier tranny. There are a few highly skilled members on this board that would be better suited to answer your question. This brings me to the point of, if you aren't completely comfortable rebuilding that tranny, have somebody do it. There is probably a handful of guys on here that could call out the clearences and tolerances of that tranny by memory. I would certainly advise an upgrade to your input shaft at a minimum. Maybe even the output depending on what you are doing with the car. As far as the rear gears, buy a rebuild kit when you install the gears. They are cheap and you will have extra shims if you loose one.
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

If its only a few hundred more to get a beefier trans im gonna do that but right now im trying to find out how much everything is going to cost to see if its worth rebuilding would love a 6 spd in this car tho.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the small teeth on the gear that the synchro splines onto. They should be sharp. If they are dull replace them. Put all new blocking rings in. Avalible on ebay cheepest. I always replace the Torrington bearing in between the input and output shaft. And a billet counters haft retainer is a good upgrade. When u put it all back together shim it to zero end play

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

If you get lost u can download a rebuild manual off the net. Or I do non counters haft out rebuilds for 150 plus parts. Or 250 counters haft out rebuild

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Appreciate your advice. I might just get the Ford Racing rebuild kit off American muscle (don't know if it comes with Torrington bearing but seems to have almost everything) and attempt it myself. Will definitely be inspecting everything you told me to inspect.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Most of the money on that kit is in bearings which rarely go bad. And it dosent come with any sycros or gears. They are kinda a waste of money imo. Just download the manual and inspect your trans and the manual gives u part numbers for everything. Then call liberty trans and gear or modern driveline and order your parts

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ok so I doubt I'm going with the kit now knowing it doesn't come with syncros. I know I need fork pads for sure and syncros. The gears look ok but I won't be able to inspect until tomorrow.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The most important thing is the energizing teeth on the gears. If they are worn out the gears must be changed. Most people look at the teeth and ignore the energizing teeth. They have to be inspected thoroughly and once you need a few gears better off chucking the T5 and up grade to a stronger tranny. The T5 is as weak as they get. The T 5 is basically a piece of CRAP. Other than for a 4 banger i guess. I would not waste my time rebuilding a T5 to dam weak

Check out this MD and notice the energizing teeth. This gear is totally shot. Obsolete and the customer UP graded to a 6 speeder. Best thing to do is a TKO Or a 6 SPEEDER.

- 500-600

[ 2014-03-22, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

looks like a few of the teeth are chipped on one of the lower gears..

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That is correct and what happens from years of power shifting. The newer trannys have much better synchrows and reverse is also synchronized. That is a great feature for several reasons one being not having gear clash and metal particles in the tranny. The best bet if the tranny needs a lot of hard parts is cut your losses and spring for a better tranny. In the long run it is the wise decision.Thanks

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Going Monday to get it inspected and if it isn't cost effective I will definitely upgrade. Looking at Astro T5s, viper t56s.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Good plan the viper 6 is as strong as they get other than the new 60-60

--------------------

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

700+ in parts for t5 and 250 labor. I think I'll just buy a new ford racing t5z for $1700 what you think cafords?

Car is stock as of now, plan on doing Trickflow top end once I get the new trans in and maybe a supercharger in a year

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Can I use the original crossmember still???

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M7000A/85-95-Mustang-T-5-Transmission-Rebuild-Kit

why don't you just get this?

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by SLOW95GTS:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M7000A/85-95-Mustang-T-5-Transmission-Rebuild-Kit

why don't you just get this?

That doesn't come with the parts I needed.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Same thing happened to me. All that labor for a $1 part. Those things are crap.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com