Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 351W pressed in Stud issue

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 351W pressed in Stud issue
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Montana  Ford pictures for Tony Montana    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 69 windsor with aftermarket cam and lifters stock cast iron rockers and pushrod setup. I noticed a tapping noise so I removed the valve cover and tryed to tighten the nut until the clicking stopped then 1/2 turn more per specs. After this the clicking stopped for a few seconds but then began again, I tryed to remove the locking nut to replace with a new one but all it will do is twist wont tighten or loosen up. The stud itself does appear to have been lifted, is there any way i can replace the stud without removing the head and taking to the machine shop? The Heads already have been ported and all springs valves etc are fresh so no other machining is required. id like to see if anyone has any previous experience or if the head being removed is my only option.

--------------------
I lend my brother a hand cus i know i can i keep going and going but i aint the pink bunny instead of beatin on a drum i never stop gettting money

Posts: 369 | From: Oakland California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Gatlin6T9
¯
Member # 5646

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gatlin6T9  Ford pictures for Gatlin6T9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should never keep the push in studs with any performance cam. To prevent future problems, take the heads to the machine shop and have the screw in studs installed. Anything else is just a band aid that will eventually cause problems.
Posts: 226 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what he said is dead on, take a strait edge across the top of all the studs to actually see if its raising, a old trick is to drill a hole threw teh head stud boss into the stud then pin it with like a dowl or specific pin, machine shop stuff, maybe the cam is going flat?
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Montana  Ford pictures for Tony Montana    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The stud itself is pulling up I can visibly see the thread stick up farther then the other rockers. I can also see the rocker has normal movement like the others the push rod comes up the same height as all the other rockers. There is just a ton of play since the stud has been pulled up it seems as if the nut has passed the thread on the stud itself. I've heard of some people drilling the studs with the heads on the engine itself but it has to be precise so i may just have to do a top end tear down was just trying to avoid this if possible.

--------------------
I lend my brother a hand cus i know i can i keep going and going but i aint the pink bunny instead of beatin on a drum i never stop gettting money

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if u tap the holes i have the correect cross over replacements threaded studs just for that, u can have them for 20 bucks, i might even have locks as well ill throw in

Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Thanks for the info and I will pm you if the machine shop doesnt include the studs when i get them done.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com