Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 93 virbations over 2,000rpm, neutral and in gear

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 93 virbations over 2,000rpm, neutral and in gear
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 93 is giving me vibrations when revving over 2,000 rpms. It happens in both neutral and in gear. What could be the cause of this? It happened out of no where. I was leaning towards the driveshaft bolts but it should be ruled out when it happens in neutral, correct?

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How's your harmonic balancer

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll check that tomorrow. Should a replacement fix the problem or would that cause internal problems too?

[ 2013-12-10, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: 3-0-Tunes ]

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This could be a few things. Balancer is a good place too start. Check for rubber protruding out. Could be main cap walk, worn bearings and journals. Is your motor modified or high mileage?
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

quote:
Originally posted by 2BlueGeeTees:
This could be a few things. Balancer is a good place too start. Check for rubber protruding out. Could be main cap walk, worn bearings and journals. Is your motor modified or high mileage?

I just did a water pump replacement and I also changed the timing cover. I used a harmonic balancer puller tool and replaced the main seal along with a bunch of other things. Motor is modified and also high milage (100k)

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

balancer was fine. Changed the motor mounts and its alot better but now the vibration is coming from the tranny area. I got a new poly mount for it so I figured I might as well swap that out and I'm pretty sure the problem will be solved. Any tips on changing the tranny mount??

EDIT- I noticed even after just changing the motor mounts that the engine is still sagging to the passenger side. So bad that the cold air intake tube off the manifold is hitting against where the camber plates are bolted to. I looked at the tranny mount and sure enough it is leaning the same way. Would this cause the symptoms that I'm having?

[ 2013-12-12, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: 3-0-Tunes ]

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Anyone?? (read above)

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Just_a_GT
¯
Member # 10372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just_a_GT  Ford pictures for Just_a_GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the same problem. Vibration at the transmission. My car is took apart so I have not been able to diognose the problem or try to fix it. Once I get my car running again I'm going to replace my driveshaft with one of my friends and see if that is the problem.

Here's a thread I started about it, some good advice on things to check .
http://californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=028474

--------------------
1990 GT 308 edelbrock alum heads Daily driver
2000 GT CAMMED 281ci

Posts: 697 | From: Winton, CA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

I appreciate your feedback but your symptoms are different. I experience the vibrations in neutral and in gear so that would rule out anything from the rearend / driveshaft

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anything in neutral, and in gear basically rules out a few differen't things. Like driveshaft, rear end, trans mount.

Flywheel, clutch assembly is where I'd personally start.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

My friend says he thinks my harmonic balancer is the cause of the vibrations.

I took some pictures of it , I'm not too sure what to be looking for but I don't see any rubber pieces on it in general. Let me know if this looks like it could be the problem

-
 -
 -
 -

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's a rubber seal peaking out in the second pic of you zoom towards the are between the pulley and balancer. Id think that could be your issue

--------------------
King Lx

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

I see the rubber ur talking about I didn't really know where to look. About how sure are you this will fix the problem? A buddy said one cylinder might not be firing but I got good power and it doesn't feel like a missfire to me

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

[ 2013-12-14, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: 3-0-Tunes ]

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

I'm about 75% sure but it's a harmonic balancer...how bad of an idea is it to replace it not only to rule it out but also to replace what seems to be an old part

--------------------
King Lx

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Thanks, ill change it out tomorrow. I hope that's all it is.

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not the best angle but the rubber is certainly peaking out. If this isn't the immediate cause of the vibration you feel now it is sure to be the cause of a much worse vibration soon time soon
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Now that its pointed out I think this is the cause I just went and got a new one. Ill fix tomorrow and leave updates. If this is ruled out, what else could it be?!

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Changing out today! I had another question. After changing my motor mounts I noticed the engine leans to the passenger side. It's noticeable so I'm assuming this can't be right. What could cause this? The mounts are brand new

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Well the leaning could be multiple things. I think mine leaned to one sad because they where on the wrong sides. Did you check that?

--------------------
King Lx

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

I thought they could only go in one way. I just changed the harmonic and she's smoother than ever! I'm gunna check my timing cause I'm sure its off. Thanks everyone!

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ford dampers are
one of the most failed part in those engines. Whenever you have a dough if yours is spun out do a TRUE TDC check and that will tell you in 30 seconds it spun. But anytime the vibration comes out of know where the damper spun on a ford

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Good to hear we helped you out. If the motor still leans swap your mounts side to side or maybe the locating tab isn't all the way in or it's hung up somewhere

--------------------
King Lx

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Man I can't thank this site and the people on it enough. Thanks alot! I'll see what I can do with the mounts and see if it fixes the problem. if the mounts are ruled out, what else could cause this?!

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com